Need help with patio levels please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im new here and I am planning my first patio. Just moved into a new build and I am trying to plan my levels. I know that I need to have a fall at least 1:80 away from the house. But it’s a bit complicated as I have almost a ramp section (the six flag section on the right on the image below) sloping in from a higher level side passage that sits higher to the DPC but is 100mm from the house. The main patio currently sits level with no fall 150mm from the DPC. I have tried to show this in the picture below. I want to keep the same shape and happy to have the ramp section like it is but I’ll be replacing the slabs. I want to build out the main section. But how can i do this with a fall and have the ramp sloping in. As the two sections wont align.
IMG_7853.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Anyone able to help please. I have come up with two design proposals for this as I don’t know any other way I can join the two levels as the main patio will slop away from the house vs the path from the side which would be level.
IMG_0084.png

IMG_0083.png

I can't really understand your question, nor deduce which end the house is at in your computer aided design

If you want a flat section to meet a ramp you either ramp the flat or have a step. If you convert your existing ramp to a step it might make your life easier unless you need it for access for a wheeled thing, in which case you can extend the flat patio to provide sufficient space to bring wheeled thing down the ramp, onto the flat, then turn whichever way necessary to go down the stepping stones to the other end of that is what you're trying to do

I think you're probably fussing a little too much about having a fall. In reality rainwater flow off the flag sides and into the grouted joints so it's not critical to make all of it perfectly sloping 1:80

Generally your life will be easier if you only have slopes meeting flats rather than slopes meeting slopes

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I can't really understand your question, nor deduce which end the house is at in your computer aided design
The bottom end of the design is the house end.

Basically, in the top photograph my current patio joins to a higher level side path. This consists of a ramp section on the right hand side of the photo. As this part approaches the DPC a bit higher it’s 100mm from the wall. This joins the larger section of patio on the left. This section is level.

I want to replace this all. But I don’t know how to make this all one level and also have it sloping away from the house. And then join the side path which is slightly higher. This is through the gate on the right- it can’t be seen in the picture.

With a step

If grandma comes to visit on her mobility scooter, a portable ramp should suffice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back