Need help with Shower mixer tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am helping a friend convert his van into a camper-van.

He has bought a small shower mixer valve which came with flexible tails for the shower cubicle.

We were hoping to fit the hot and cold pipes for the mixer valve within the wooden framing of the shower cubicle but unfortunately when trying to bend the flexible pipes they just won't bend enough to fit within the frame.

Ideally having a 90 degree bend coming out of the mixer valve should work but don't know if it is possible and would appreciate and advice on how to do it and what parts I need to buy.

Many thanks

Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Look at microbore copper it comes in 8 and 10mm rolls with a good selection of fittings

Thanks Tincup for the advice.

I had been thinking along the same sort of lines but couldn't work out what connection/s were needed to connect the micropore pipe to the mixer valve. The existing flexible tail connector has a couple of rubber rings attached to the fixing ( presumably seal the joint ) and I just couldn't find anything similar when I was searching so I assumed I was thinking about it the wrong way. But if you are anyone else could help me out with suggestions for connectors I would be over the moon.

The good news is I already have some micropore copper piping in the garage so I wouldn't have to buy a roll.

Thanks

Bruce

How much room do you have ?
You could use straight copper tails ,cut down and push fit elbows.
On Google most caravan mixers have tails already attached at an angle .

Sponsored Links
1. My reading of the problem is that what you really want is a right angled connector which will:
1.1 Screw into the base of the tap, i.e. same threads as the tap end of the flexible connector in the photograph and same O ring seal arrangement. Male thread.
1.2 Have a female thread and internal plain diameter (before thread) to suit the existing flexible hose at right angles.
2. The threads involved are usually M10 or M12
3. Given the small thread sizes, limited space and difficulty in getting the correct thread orientation, I think you will find it impossible to source such an item.
4. In view of Laurieo's earlier post I think you need to look at getting a different mixer valve.

Hi Laurieo and Oldbuffer

Laurieo - The taps my friend bought were supplied with the flexible tails and sold as a Motorhome mixer valve. He basically wanted a mixer valve with as small a profile as possible as the shower cubicle is quite small. I've taken a couple of photos to show the mixer valve attached to a mock-up piece of plywood frame . The plywood is 9mm thick and the framing wood for the shower cubicle frame is 63mm X 38mm . I have a pipe bender for micro bore pipe so your suggestion of trying to adapt straight copper tails is certainly worth considering. Perhaps I could try a test piece of micro bore pipe first to see if it is even possible to get a bend within the frame dimensions.

Oldbuffer - Yes I think you've understood my problem and yes perhaps its not one that can be solved

appreciate the comments

Many thanks

Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9042.jpeg
    IMG_9042.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 13

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back