Need new warm air unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my warm air unit condemed by british gas.
I signed it up to a sevice contract because it hadnt been seviced in 2 years and was smelling like parrafin.
The guy serviced it ...then told me it was scrap and the flue was leaking too..
It's a johnson & starley unit with no water heating.
I want to replace with another warm air unit and possibly get a water heater included...
I have made a few calls but not having much joy..i have no heating and no one wants to even give me a quote for 2 weeks !!!!
Any ideas..
Im in Birmingham
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Call Johnson Starley on 01604 762881, request list of installers local for you. When making contact have exact model number, it'll help.

Call Johnson Starley on 01604 762881, request list of installers local for you. When making contact have exact model number, it'll help.
called them today they gave me 3 numbers . Oxby warm air...said someone would call me back , but would have no chance till end of november, no ones called yet.
one of the others said im too far away.
and im awaiting a call back from the other.
the best i have so far is an appointment for a quote on 5th november

What J&S model is it...heat exchangers are the major item to fail (they split) but may only be around £250 and 1/2 a day to fit.

Many units can have water heating added but by the time you add the initial cost and proper servicing it would take a long long time to pay off and be cheaper than electric water heating.

BG sub out warm air round my way.....one of my neighbours was done for an extra £1500...should have spoken to me first.

Sponsored Links
My electric bill is £116 per month and i think most of this is down to my water heating...surley if i am replacing the whole unit anyway(its over 30years old and the british gas man said its scrap & the flue)adding the water heater must be a good idea ???
What do you think ???

Its a JT 19-25 MK2 MODAIRFLOW

the timer also ticks really loudly ( very annoying at night )
and the thermostast is not very controllable it only seems to turn on and off between about 6-8 its on all the time at 9 and not atall below 5

I do have to say unless there are special circumstances then i would recommend a new wet central heating system.

It might cost £3-5k but it would be more efficient and add value to the property.

Tony

From memory the Hi-spec25 should be pretty much a direct replacement. Might require a bit of sheet metal work to the ducts and base but nothing major.

If your happy with the current one then replace the unit, ignore the go for wet heating, in the current housing market it'll make little difference.
Succesfully removing warm air(all ducting,grills/vents,patching up) just to add the wet heating will be less cost effective that what it might or might not do to the value of the property.

Shouldnt take more than a day to change unit and flue.

Adding water heater to it will be quite expensive as you will need a new cylinder , tank in the loft extra then there is the piping up from the unit to the cylinder so it will soon add up and people would be quoting over a grand just for the water side.
Alternate form of water heating is a gas multipont.

Hi-Spec J25 is the replacement; you can get it with an internal water heater or retro fit that bit later.

It can also be fitted with MAFF which varies the fan speed and pulses the gas train to give very smooth and accurate heating, rather than the on/off you are used to.

Hydronic heating (radiators) is not as efficent and your replacement heater warm air (installed) should be less than £2K.

I really cannot understand why people are recommending radiators. If you have Eco7 electricity tariff your water heating will be nearly as cheap as gas if you do it overnight.

I do have to say unless there are special circumstances then i would recommend a new wet central heating system.

It might cost £3-5k but it would be more efficient and add value to the property.

Tony

Strange all the posts about changing to a wet system 7 out of 10 British gas service people will tell you the same
"get a more economical combi boiler"
however the ones that know thier stuff tell you a different story as fare as reliability goes a combi doesn't even come close to a warm air unit
also the warm air is a lot cheaper to run in fact I tried to get on the boiler scrappage scheme but was told that even though my warm air is over 20 years old it it still to efficient to qualify for a replacement
to any none believers I am dissabled have lived with warmair for the last 46 years house temp set at 20 deg all the time day and night water heater never turned off in 46 years except for servicing and average yearly gas bills running at £550 so I love it and am not impressed with people pushing combi's with thier apparent endless repair costs like flue fans'control boards and solonoide valves breaking as aften as eggs :D

thanks for reading jim....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back