Need some advice about masonary nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please advise me, which masonary nails I should use/buy to nail plywood (about 10mm) onto a concrete floor. The ply is a bit springy and I want to nail it down. I've not used masonary nails for years, but I do remember that I wasn't very good when I used them because they all bent. That's why I'm asking for advice, I'm sure their are different ones and some are better than others.
I don't need to use many, otherwise I would hire a Hilti Gun. You guys know which are the best and which ones are crap. Would really appreciate it if one of you guys will tell me what you would use. Many thanks in advance,
Micky(django47)

Sponsored Links
If the floor is already down then I would use small frame fixings the ones with the grey sleeves, 30 or 40 mm you will need to drill a 5mm hole first then hammer them in.

Screws and plugs.

Andy

Thanks for your reply Andy. As you probably guessed, that was one of the obvious methods first considered, but what I actually said to myself was, "I wish I could use rawplugs and just screw it down". Without actually seeing what I'm 'bodging up', it's impossible to explain. It would be like using a sledge hammer on a thumb tack.
If in the end I'm unable to use masonary nails, I will have to pull up all the sub floor and all the vinyl tiles, and go back to square one.
To rent a 'Hilti gun' for a day is thirty odd quid plus vat. So it's all down to good old fashioned hammer 'n' nails, plus a little elbow grease. But thanks for your input Andy. I appreciate you taking the time.

Sponsored Links
If the floor is already down then I would use small frame fixings the ones with the grey sleeves, 30 or 40 mm you will need to drill a 5mm hole first then hammer them in.

How did I miss your post Mr catlad. I am going right now to check out your recomendation to see exactly what your idea entails. Will come back after I've done a little 'googling'. Thank's very much sir.
Micky(django47)

Hopefully I 've sorted it. I bought a large pack(all they had in b&q) of masonary nails and all but one bent. Half expecting that to happen from past experience, I also bought a masonary drill bit, aparently it is the strongest drill bit you can get. There were two other masonary drill bits, cheaper and cheaper still. I just wanted to get the job done and out of the way so I wasn't taking any chances using inferior tools.
Yea I took advice from someone posting in this forum and used screws and plugs. I had to bury the screw heads into the ply so they didn't come through the tiles when they have been walked on a few times.
Luckilly I avoided pulling up all the tiles all round the outside. Just had to pull up the centre 9 to get to the ply sub floor that buckled. Screwed it tightly to the concrete underneath and put the original tiles back.
Because I had to use adhesive, all the joins have got weights sitting on them until it dries. All I can do now is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. How the hell did a simple job become such a slog.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back