Need to make 3 inch radius external skirting board corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to make 3 inch radius external skirting board corner - see photo of existing (opposite) corner.

Property is Victorian with a 9 inch torus(?) skirting.

Unfortunately, original fireplace was long removed along with some of skirting. Looking to restore and unsure of best way to recreate the missing/matching corner? Can I buy precast? Should I try to make a cast?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Here's a suggestion:

Using liquid latex, cast a mould from a straight section of the same skirting.

Bend the mould to the correct radius and support it (either in sand, or by making a fibreglass support).

Cast a radiused section in the mould, using plaster of paris and bandage.

I haven't tried this but don't see why it wouldn't work.

[edit] If you're wanting a mirror image of an existing corner, take the cast from that.

Cheers
Richard

It can be cast in situ the same way that cornices are run. A metal template to the skirting profile is cut and with a guide fixed to the floor moved back and forwards over the wet casting medium , casting plaster would be fine.
Alternatively you could simply shape casting plaster by hand with files , chisels and sandpaper.
Another alternative is to make the whole thing out of a block of timber .
Or form the flat part of the skirting out of something thin and bendy such as hardboard with a couple of layers glued together to hold the curve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back