Need to remove a shared deck

Reaction score
Country
United States
sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.

i live in a row home in philadelphia and my house shares a small deck with the dupex next door. its about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide it is in really bad shape one of the support beams on my side is completely rotted through and has already broken away from my house the tenents that currently live there are unconcerned with the danger of it colaspsing. sometimes there will be 3-5 of them out there smoking weed and other times they pile thier trash up out there and animals get into it a it pours trash onto my driveway all week. i just want to know how to go about legally removing it, i really want to go out there and rip it off but i do not want to be forced to replace it.

i would really aperciate it if any one can help me figure this out because i dont even know where to begin. i am completly clueless and desperate.

Sponsored Links
Try a US forum old bean, this one is on the other side of the pond where tea and tiffin is the order of the day.

Are you also a tenant? Or do you own your house?

If you have a landlord, I would talk to them about the state of the shared deck.

As for putting waste bags out there, even if you were able to remove the deck, it would not stop your neighbours putting bags there.

Have you tried to speak calmly with them about it?

Is there a better or dedicated place to put the bags?

Are there what we call wheelie bins (some in the States call them Herby Curbies)?

Try a US forum old bean, this one is on the other side of the pond where tea and tiffin is the order of the day.

lol whoops sorry going to was just a quick google search from my phone.thanks and will do
Are you also a tenant? Or do you own your house?

If you have a landlord, I would talk to them about the state of the shared deck.

As for putting waste bags out there, even if you were able to remove the deck, it would not stop your neighbours putting bags there.

Have you tried to speak calmly with them about it?

Is there a better or dedicated place to put the bags?

Are there what we call wheelie bins (some in the States call them Herby Curbies)?

yes i am the homeowner. the deck is built on 4 support beams one side goes into their house and the other mine its already sagging a bit from the beam that broke on my side. i dont want anyone to get hurt

the landlord has been less then helpful in the past and the type of people he keeps renting to shows he cares nothing for the neighborhood imo.

i apperciate the replies and again sorry for posting this on the wrong side of the world i was just angry last night

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Some of us are in the States, even though it is basically a UK website, and we all may still be able to offer some advice and solutions, but I think a picture or two may help us out. It's difficult to advise on something we can't see, especially when construction methods vary greatly between both countries, but it could turn out to be something relatively simple so it's worth posting an image or two, if possible.

Support and cut the beams etc in the middle, by ripping up the deck on your side you should be able to get to the centre and add support under it.

This then enables you to cut down the middle and separate them so that you can repair your own yourself.

When under there at the middle, dig down and make a foundation, brick up so that you will be able to support the existing beam and also add another new one aside or next to it. Use a jack on a slab to lift the exiting beams up enough to wedge something under the beam to support it while you do the deed.

If they are outside on the deck then ask them to get off for their own safety for the time it takes to do the supporting etc.

You might consider making the repaired side unshared by adding a dividing barrier/balustrade.

Back