Need to take out Double Glazed window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just brought a new bed and can't get it up the stairs, thought I'd take out the window as it would fit but i can't release the screws.
I have even tried to use a drill and screw bit but they will not budge. Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You could try an 'impact' socket wrench fitted with either a flat or cross headed blade available from motorist shops (halfords)
Or you could try placing the screwdriver in position and striking it with a hammer a few times to loosen the screws.
If all these fail you may have to use a pad saw fitted with a hacksaw blade and get in behind the frame and saw through the screws.
Screw extractors require a drilled hole to engage the extractor and the hole required is probablely larger than the screw and if you can't drill the hole then you have failed before you start.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DAZB said:
Screw Extractor set which should remove them.

Does anyone know how this works ? Is it pilot hole then screw it to break it?

Sponsored Links
Yes! you drill a hole 3mm to 4mm is about the smallest size and insert the screw extracor like you would for tapping a thread but anti clockwise and using a tap wrench you turn the extractor which is tapered so as you turn it bites in, and out comes the screw.
Thats the theory, in practice it don't always work if the screw is really tight or the hole is not deep enough. Also if the remaining wall thickness after drilling is thin, then it just breaks up leaving you back to square one.
I would say not suitable for wood screws but ok for machine screws from about 6mm upwards.(that is after soaking with penitrating oil)

Thanks for the info mates. The screws are still in tact but will purchase from screwfix as they are well cheap.
Thanks Steve.

Hi Steve,
Will you let us know how it works out, because I feel you will have little success with the screw extractor, Have you tried drilling holes in screws?
Not easy! I can assure you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back