Negative head with up and over shower pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a Grundfos 1.5-stc positive head twin impeller pump installed for my shower in upstairs bathroom. The 22mm hot feed comes from my hws via the warwick flange which I installed to ensure it had a dedicated feed with as less air as possible. The 22mm cold feed to the pump comes from a dedicated outlet on cws tank in the loft. Both hot and cold outputs from the pump then go up into the loft and down into my shower. I have fitted auto air vents (bottle type) at the highest points in the attic. Also worthy to note is I have installed a 22mm Double Check Non Return Valve on the hot pipe after the pump. Pipework is 22mm speedfit.

Up until now the only way I can get hot to come through is to lower the shower head, turn the Grohe Precision Joy mixer down to cold and then turn on the water flow. Then turning the temperature dial to hot the hot water comes through - with the shower head able to be put back up to its normal mount. The Grohe Precision Joy mixer has built-in non return valves and dirt strainers.

Now having read a number of posts I have realised thanks to 'Richard C' that there is a rule that:

"If the shower head or any part of the pipe work (up & over loops) to the mixer is less than 60cm from the underside of the cws tank you could be in a negative head situation, if your not using a negative head or self selecting pump, you could have problems.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=170800#ixzz3NrvgSFAw
"

So I'm convinced I've got a negative head setup thanks to the up and over loop I installed. Downside is I realised I'd have to buy another pump and after quite a bit of research I'd probably be wanting something like the Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal twin 2.0 bar which I can only find for cheapest of £405.

Question I have is, if I really do have a negative head setup why does the cold water come through much more readily, compared to the hot water - they both go 'up and over' into the attic?

If I turn the pump off, only the cold water comes through and no hot comes through. Also worthy of mention is I can hear some air coming through the shower head when showering. Not sure if this air is being dragged from the vent pipe above the hws cylinder.

On top of this, we've got a fairly old boiler (F energy rating) and it has got us thinking whether we should avoid buying the negative head pump and buy a combi boiler. From spending an entire day researching it, I'd be looking at going for the "Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 937 Power Store Combi Boiler Natural Gas". However, I'm unsure given the 'up and over' implementation whether that would give me a good enough shower experience despite opting for the max 20 litres/min 37kW model which seems to be pretty good. I do have a very good incoming water mains to the house so don't think that'll be a problem.

I'm trying to ensure I fully understand the situation before investing further and would appreciate any guidance/ideas.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Question I have is, if I really do have a negative head setup why does the cold water come through much more readily, compared to the hot water
The answer is because you
have installed a 22mm Double Check Non Return Valve on the hot pipe after the pump.

If I turn the pump off, only the cold water comes through and no hot comes through.
Check valves require a minimum pressure to open. If the pump is not operating there is no pressure and nothing to open the valve.
Even when open, it will be a significant restriction to the flow, and therefore you can expect problems regardless.
Remove the check valve. You don't need the AAvs on the pipes either. Take the pipes directly from the pump to the shower.

Hi Flameport,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.

I'll give this a go and feed back

Adam

Sponsored Links
Hi flameport,

I removed the NRV and noticed a marked improvement in the hot water pressure coming through to the shower head with and without the pump turned on! Perhaps the NRV was overkill then given that the shower mixer already has integral NRVs...

So now, the hot water is trickling through without the pump turned on. Clearly wouldn't be enough to shower in, but at least now its enough for the pump to kick in without lowering the shower head :D

Given the above improvement and your advice, I don't think it is worth forking out for a negative head pump as clearly a positive head pump can cope fine in this setup. So i'm going to stick with everything as-is.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back