neighbour built chimney on my garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advice me please. My neighbour suggested that we had a wall built instead of a fence (my fence needed replacing). My neighbour is a bricklayer so said will do the work for us. We just needed to pay for the bricks that he arranged to get. We paid £250 for the bricks. He built the wall last summer 2014. In Feb this year he put the finishing bricks on top and built some sort of cooker his side, its attached to the wall. As you can see by the photos there is a massive chimney to. I cant stand it. Dont mind the wall its the chimney I cant stand. The wall is on my boundry as it belongs to us and is 6 feet tall. The chimney is about 9 feet tall. I contacted the council and they say there need planning permission for it but is a chance they will get it. Would love to know what your thoughts are one this.

//media.diynot.com/229000_228665_93470_80423197_thumb.jpg
View media item 93469

Sponsored Links
the obvious thing would be to include you from the beginning offering you an oven on your side at a discount to visually reduce the impact :cry:
but apart from that :eek:

Sponsored Links
Maybe he built the chimney to hide the trampoline :LOL:

The trampoline is gone now...done the garden up. The wall was same hight as trampoline. Our fence was 6 ft so he built wall the same height.

1) Go down the route of complaining to the council, objecting to PP, look into legal action against him, and create ill feeling and a dispute which you'll have to mention if you sell the house.

2) If it is your wall, knock it down and create ill feeling and a dispute which you'll have to mention if you sell the house.

3) Fix trellis to the wall, extending to the height of the chimney, and plant ivy or another rapid growing climber. (But not Russian Vine)

Looks like the garden backs onto fields .... he could've put his oven on the back boundary.

Looks like the garden backs onto fields .... he could've put his oven on the back boundary.

yes we back onto open farmland. please note the trampoline in no longer there. we took it down lol

1) Go down the route of complaining to the council, objecting to PP, look into legal action against him, and create ill feeling and a dispute which you'll have to mention if you sell the house.

2) If it is your wall, knock it down and create ill feeling and a dispute which you'll have to mention if you sell the house.

3) Fix trellis to the wall, extending to the height of the chimney, and plant ivy or another rapid growing climber. (But not Russian Vine)

we contacted the council. They have said they need planning permission for it and have notifid our neighbours of this. The problem is they dont need it until they want to move They cant sell the house with it there.Either need to remove it or get planning permission. So basically they have won. Dought they wont bother until they want to move and that could be years n years away.

We thought about putting a trellis there but it would shade alot of the garden once the plant got bigger.

Check the deeds of your property. They should specify who is responsible for the maintenance of the fence / boundary structures bounding your property. ( this is necessarily the same as who owns the land under the boundary structure ).

If the boundary fence / structure is you responsibility then you can replace it with something of your own choice,

Check the deeds of your property. They should specify who is responsible for the maintenance of the fence / boundary structures bounding your property. ( this is necessarily the same as who owns the land under the boundary structure ).

If the boundary fence / structure is you responsibility then you can replace it with something of your own choice,

It is our side for sure. Thought about taking wall down but will be alot of work and expense. Alreadypaid £250 for the wall. Really dont want to caurse bad feeling either. If we take wall down his cooker will come away with it meaning alot of arguments. Wr would alo need to pay someone to do it as my husband isnt well enough to do it.

I think you are stuck with it. You own the wall correct? If so they cannot legally attach anything to it even if they built it. However lets pretend you got a court order to have it removed and it was removed. Given your neighbour is a bricky and that he will be 'unhappy' he will just build a bigger one next to the boundary probably bigger than this one. So no better off. And all that dispute will have to be disclosed when you come to sell. So probably best to add some screening as best you can. That's my take on it anyway. the Garden Law forum http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php is awesome for these kinds of disputes.

Can you knock a brick or two out your side to put plant holders on?

Only problem if you do that, it mightn't draw for him when he want to use it? So he'd have to run after you to sort it out?

Can you knock a brick or two out your side to put plant holders on?

Only problem if you do that, it mightn't draw for him when he want to use it? So he'd have to run after you to sort it out?

No sure what you mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back