Neighbour draining rainwater into my septic tank (Ed.)

You want the good bacteria in your septic tank to break down the sh1te. Too much water (rainwater) is liable to dilute the bacteria / flush it out the tank and down the soakaway.

To the op, I would suggest doing some work to prevent both yours and your neighbours rainwater entering the septic tank.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really work like that. The sludge at the bottom will stay where it is as it is heavier and the clean water will go right over the top of it.
Even if there was an element of dilution, bacteria can reproduce and build up again very quickly.
One of the biggest mistakes that people with septic tanks make, is to use bleach in their home and, to flush things down the toilet that didn't come out of their butt hole.

It doesn't really work like that. The sludge at the bottom will stay where it is as it is heavier and the clean water will go right over the top of it.
Even if there was an element of dilution, bacteria can reproduce and build up again very quickly.

I know nothing about mains sewerage, but I've lived with septic tanks my whole life. Worked on and repaired numerous septic and soakaway systems through work, for family, (and also compost toilets), so I'll agree to disagree.

anyway

"don't put anything down the toilet unless you've eaten it first"
(makes wiping your arse hard)

Sponsored Links
Sewage works have storm tanks (blind tanks to some people). Once the influent becomes greater than three times D.W.F. it goes to the storm tanks. The reason for this is that, it is the first flush of flood water that is the most polluting. Only when the storm tanks are full does the water overflow to the receiving stream.
D.W.F. = Dry Weather Flow. Which is equal to the normal flow into the works when it isn't raining. And, although I used the figure of three times, it will vary depending on the works.
Storm tanks are storm tanks and if there is more than one then sometimes the 1st tank has no outlet and this is designated a blind storm tank (thus as stated, in theory, keeping the most polluting first flush away from the receiving water course)
The normal flow to the works (diurnal flow) will generally fluctuate between 0.5 - 2.5DWF during the day (low at night when everyone is in bed and higher early morning when everyone is up getting ready for work/school/ etc etc). DWF is a base flow figure calculated from the contributing population of the drainage area plus allowances for industrial effluent discahrges and perceived ground water infiltration into the system, DWF in theory equates to the average daily flow in times of dry weather

Sponsored Links
Back