Neighbour replaced soffit and guttering, now I have damp!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer our neighbour had their soffit and guttering replaced. The soffit was originally solid, but they replaced it with plastic soffit with slits all along it.

Our house was built in 1955. We have cavity wall insulation. It is a terraced and between us and nextdoor there is a shared pathway to the back gardens. At the front of the house they have a larger room which goes over the pathway, and at the back of the house we have the larger room which goes over the pathway. In our back bedroom we now have a damp patch right at the top in the corner (joining onto their house). Because of the staggered bedrooms over the path some of their new soffit is over our bedroom (corresponds with the damp patch). I have been in the loft to look and where their soffit overlaps onto our house their builders removed our loft insulation, so in this corner there is no insulation over the soffit (all of our soffit is covered with insulation) and because of all the slits in it, it is now much colder and more drafty in our loft. Thats about all I could see balancing on the beams with limited space in the eaves!

The damp patch is literally just in this corner on the wall and a bit on the ceiling. We have never had a damp problem in our house before now.

My question is, is it likely that the damp patch is caused by condensation where they created a cold patch by removing the insulation? Or is it more likely something is leaking or in the wall cavity causing the damp? Should I try covering back over where they took the insulation away from to see if that helps? Or am I going to need to get someone up on a ladder to have a look for me?

Thanks for any advice you have!! :)

Sponsored Links
Hello Ellie
Its the trend these days to encourage lots of soffit ventilation - this prevents dampness building up in an area that used to be closed.
Therefore lofts are much draughtier than before (a good thing) and thats why we need so much insulation above our ceilings now.
Anyway, the dampness you mention is very unlikely to be caused by condensation and I'd be looking at how the guttering was replaced after next doors soffits were done, and whether any roof tiles / slates were disturbed during the process.
I reckon a look using a ladder is the way to go here - if only to rule things out.
Could you post a pic, do you think?
John :)

Thanks John :) This is my first house so I have nothing to compare it to, just to how it was before the damp problem!

I have had a good look from outside at ground level and nothing looks different(other than the new soffit and guttering). I can't see any tiles out of place. From the inside there isn't much to see either, there was mildew on the wall but I cleaned it off. I just thought that if the guttering was leaking or if tiles were disturbed that the damp patch would be bigger? Or is it just small at the moment because it has just started and will be getting bigger over the winter if left?

Looks like I'll have to get someone up a ladder for me! :)

Taking the risk and stating the obvious :D if your house was ok before, then some mischief has taken place during the soffit episode......
Water can take a while to percolate through if the leak isn't too bad, and some moisture can be held by loft insulation etc.
Its even worth a peek to see that the gutters aren't blocked with leaves and suchlike, and rain water can actually get away.
Again, an inspection by someone with a ladder and a head for heights is a good start.
Hope things go well!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions :) Will have to get my dad up a ladder to clear the guttering (being a terraced the downpipe is shared between 3 houses :S ) and have a look for me and go from there.

Thanks John :) This is my first house so I have nothing to compare it to, just to how it was before the damp problem!

there was mildew on the wall but I cleaned it off.Looks like I'll have to get someone up a ladder for me! :)
I`d be getting up a ladder in the pouring rain - a loft ladder and laying on a board looking @ the area in the dry of the loft ;) Despite what everyone says ,I`m for the insulation removed answer

Thanks Nige. I think I will get up in the loft again and put some insulation back where they took it out from whilst I'm waiting for my dad to get up a ladder to check it out from outside to see if it helps :)

You can also get up the ladder (when its dry) with your hose pipe and soak the roof and see where the water goes. Hopefully into the gutter and down the down pipe. :D

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back