Neighbourly dispute

The original dispute and damage to my garage was resolved about 2 yrs ago but this damage / / poor repair ? is recent , i was wondering who pays ???

Sponsored Links
So let me get this straight...

1. You had a dispute with a neighbour over a shared wall.
2. During litigation, this was deemed to be a party wall.
3. An agreement was drawn up.
4. Both parties undertook to be legally bound by the agreement.
5. Since then, work has been carried out by the neighbour (or his contractor).
6. The work has resulted in damage to the party wall.
7. You have asked your neighbour to bear or share the cost of repairs.
8. Your neighbour has declined or refused your request.
9. You don't know what to do next.

Is that all correct? If not, please correct it.

Sponsored Links
ok , since the work was done and paid for by my neighbours , half of my flashing has fallen off the garage wall which used to be the middle wall supporting two garages , there garage was demolished and moved. The flashing was fixed to the top of the wall where it meets the roof ,i ts fallen off and is sitting on the ground .
Should they arrange a builder to fix it and pay for it themselves ? ? Meanwhile the inside of my wall is still getting wet

He's already said that it was deemed to be a party wall in the previous dispute.

No it is not a party wall

The PWA defines what is and is not a party wall for the sole purpose of the the Act, and thus how the Act applies when the Act is invoked

The PWA does not define what is or is not a party wall for any other purpose

Also the PWA only applies while work is in progress. Once work is complete then thats it as far as the PWA is concerned

Unless the award made reference to specific performance, then the OP would have to allege negligence and prove in the county court that the neighbour owed a duty to him in common law. However, from the details posted, the neighbour does not seem to owe any such duty as the OP is responsible for his own maintenance and can not rely on the PWA.

ok it says here in the award....

That the wall seperating the two properties is a party wall within the meaning of the act.

ok it says here in the award....

That the wall seperating the two properties is a party wall within the meaning of the act.

But the Act does not apply now, does it?

The Act only applies when doing work covered by the Act - once that work is finished then the Act does not apply

Your previous award has no relevance now

Exactly ..... once through the outer wrapper, its clearly easy to digest and beneficial - but without the holes of many other cheeses.

Cheese with a silver lining

The act still does apply...Heres what it says in my award..

That the said surveyors reserve the right to make and issue any furthur award or awards that maybe necessary , as provided by the act

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back