Neighbour's boiler flue causing me problems

can you get a better pic of the white pipe sticking out the wall :p

Yep could do, again am at work so it'll have to wait until the weekend. Not the easiest think to photograph though, had to use the zoom and a steady hand as it was.

Out of interest, what are you looking for?

Which part of it? Where it meets the wall, or all of it?

Sponsored Links

Yep could do, again am at work so it'll have to wait until the weekend. Not the easiest think to photograph though, had to use the zoom and a steady hand as it was.

the fact that it doesnt look like it goes anywhere ! just poking out the wall from what i can see ??

the fact that it doesnt look like it goes anywhere ! just poking out the wall from what i can see ??

The white condensate pipe has a black pipe attached to the bottom of it, presumably heading for a drain.

The white condensate pipe has a black pipe attached to the bottom of it, presumably heading for a drain.

ah ok.... thats dissapointing. I like to see bodges, thats a let down.

Sponsored Links

Ah ok, the photo's not too clear, but I remember.

It extends into a black pipe that goes down to ground level. A small bit of the bottom of the black pipe is visible in the bottom of one of the photos.

Can't remember what it does at ground level, if it just goes onto the passageway floor, or through into the ground (a sewer runs between the houses).

ah ok.... thats dissapointing. I like to see bodges, thats a let down.

Ha, I should take a few pics of things I've discovered in my house if you like bodges.

The sewer I mentioned in a previous post ... I know it's there because an old owner of this house was a 'DIY expert'. Kitchen is only small, they must've wanted a dishwasher in there, so moved the washing machine to the cellar to create a space for it.

Few weeks after I moved in I noticed a smell and tracked it down to the two unused pipes in the cellar. A washing machine waste pipe and tumbler dryer 'heat pipe'. I blocked them up myself, smell went thought that was the end of it.

Few years later sewer blocks up and backs up into my cellar. Sh!t water everywhere. I get United Utilities round and they tell me the pipes I blocked up were plumbed directly into the sewer. Genius.

All bricked up and sorted now though.

Agile";p="2561590 said:
People often confuse two measurements!

The makers quote a short distance of say 600mm ( often 900 mm ) which must be clear in front of the flue for the boielr to operate satisfactorily.

No confusion for me Tony.

600 clearance to a surface facing a terminal, straight from Vaillants manual and the same for all the boilers that I've fitted.

In this case the 600 mm would be to the boundary line, exceptions would be if you had a flue or opening opposite the flue

It does say it is recommended that the products of combustion are not straightly directed to discharge across a boundary, but does not say you can't do it

you can't fit a plume kit to that flue it has a piece of plastic at the bottom so you couldn't fit an elbow so the flue would need to be changed

It looks like it may be a Vaillant or Glow worm, in which case the front section will clip out and a plume terminal clip in.

Could be wrong about the make though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back