Neighbours garden wall....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....is leaning over at a bit of an angle!
They don't have much money, any inexpensive solutions, that doesn't involve totally rebuilding? It's about 1.5m high by 4m long. The top is out by maybe 150mm.
I thought first support with accro's then dig out to the foundations, pour a load of concrete and build some buttresses with brick or block.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Robbox, but I don't think it will work. You haven't mentioned what the walls made of, nor why it's leaning, so can you post a picture first to give us a better idea.

IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG It's old brick. It's probably because the footings didn't take proper account of the different ground levels on each side. My neighbours side is maybe a foot lower.
My neighbours don't have good access for materials, although I could offer my access.
Plus the cost of a total rebuild could be too much for them.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
I'm the same as you, it sounds like your plan would work, the main thing is to make sure you get down to ground that can take the load and spread it over a wide enough area. It could be the ground is moving back and fourth as it dries out every year and it's dropping a little each time. If rebuilding isn't an option and presumably SEs to calculate, then do what you say and then install something to monitor further movement.
Or to be on the safe side, demolish it cheaply and replace with a basic wooden fence.

Sorry Robbox, you're plan will end in disaster I'm afraid, but 10 out of 10 for creative thinking. Being only a single skin wall, it'll just go at the first point of stress, and even if it didn't, you cant merge the buttress in to the wall, so that'd be another point of weakness. And you'd need a lot more concrete for the footings, than if you started from scratch.

If you can find someone cheap to take the wall down brick by brick, and clean them as they go, then it should only take a good brickie a couple of day to rebuild the wall. But I suspect that a wooden fence with the posts sunk in from the lower side, is the most sensible option

Sorry Robbox, you're plan will end in disaster I'm afraid, but 10 out of 10 for creative thinking. Being only a single skin wall, it'll just go at the first point of stress, and even if it didn't, you cant merge the buttress in to the wall, so that'd be another point of weakness. And you'd need a lot more concrete for the footings, than if you started from scratch.

If you can find someone cheap to take the wall down brick by brick, and clean them as they go, then it should only take a good brickie a couple of day to rebuild the wall. But I suspect that a wooden fence with the posts sunk in from the lower side, is the most sensible option
You're probably correct. It is actually a double skin wall with stringers? or is it called Flemish bond....
I think I should offer my neighbour my access so he can rebuild the wall. I think he may like what another neighbour has done. Brick wall up about halfway with pillars to full height. Fence panels in between.

Is it leaning away from your land? its no clear from the 2D photo which wall is leaning? I'd start by removing anything I had leaning on it. As a temporary fix you could wire it to the other wall, but I reckon you could knock it down in the process by accident.

Am I right in thinking the footings are on your side of the fence, which is higher Robbox. If that's the case, then you'll get the problem again. The footing need to be on the lower side, even if the means digging out some of your garden.

Am I right in thinking the footings are on your side of the fence, which is higher Robbox. If that's the case, then you'll get the problem again. The footing need to be on the lower side, even if the means digging out some of your garden.
My neighbour is lower than my side. I imagine that would mean the footings need to be spread across both sides, with maybe concrete block laid cross wise as a first or second course, until my garden level is reached.

Sort of, the footing are built under the wall, so it's position needs to be determined first, and then footing laid on the lower side - and this may well mean digging in to your garden. Then the wall either gets built of bricks, or blocks till it reaches your ground level, and then your soils is packed back against the wall.

Maybe I should make this a separate topic, but I wonder if boundary walls come under buildings insurance?

Knowing how insurance companies try and squirm out of everything, you'd need to check what's covered, but I suspect it'd come under wear and tear, and not be covered.

It would have to have suffered an accident to be able to make a claim.

Basically for something to be insurable it would have to be sudden and unforseen, otherwise you could just wait for your house to fall down and get a new one free!
Does create the situation where if your chimney falls down in the wind, they check the wind speed records to find if it was a freak wind or just cos you neglected it! However the damage caused to the house by the falling chimney is covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back