Neighbours gas fire flowing through flue in my property!

I think a pic or two showing the problem is essential, and the sooner the better.

If the RGI has to visit your loft, it's a big no no, quite apart from having to repeat the trip every year to inspect the flue with the service, there's a risk to you from the products of combustion as well as fire.

Sponsored Links
Yes, John!

But if the neighbour's flue is through his loft then his is probably going through the neighbours.

Many of those houses did not have dividing walls betwen the houses in the loft area.

Yes, John!

But if the neighbour's flue is through his loft then his is probably going through the neighbours.

Many of those houses did not have dividing walls betwen the houses in the loft area.

If that were the case he wouldn't have had to ask the neighbour if he could go in his loft.

Be interesting to see how the ridge tile is connected to the precast flue.

Just read this paragraph.

My neighbour asked was it alright if the fitter went up onto my side of the roof to check the vent, to which I said fine. Week or so later, neighbour called again and said because of this crossover flue issue, the fitter wanted to go into my loft to check that there was no issue re leaks etc. As far as I know, there are just breeze blocks separating the two loft spaces.

"As far as I know" does not sound very positive.

Pics would be nice!

Sponsored Links
Probably the builder cocked up and connected the flues the wrong way round. :rolleyes:

Interesting a simple query has gone to two pages of prevarications.

The chimneys will be running side by side. How elese is the chimney supposed to rise in a chimney breast where two fires are fitted to a single wall?

The connection to the ridge tile will be cast or some other form. Issue here has been grasped by Doitall in that someone has connected the chimney to the wrong ridge vent.

Furthermore, it is not that the fire will not work (of course subjects to checks being satisfactory) but access to neighbour's loft space being mandatory when fire serviced.

Point I would make to the OP, why not get the installer to switch the connection to the ridge vents and all will be resolved. :)

lets face it if any of us went to service a fire and the smoke came out the neighbours terminal your gonna chop it off.
I can just about see how its possible that if you found it like this you might investigate check with both parties that they're happy and maybe ar, but we are talking about fitting a new fire, I think thats totally unacceptable.

Here's a scenario for those who think its ok :

Customer sells property, new owner moves in doesnt want fire, removes it along with the flue in the loft. Now its ID and no one knows possibly until someones dead.

Exactly, but the OP does seem rather relaxed about it and does not seem to know whats in his loft!

If it happened to me then the first thing I would do was to look at the loft area!

Issue here has been grasped by Doitall in that someone has connected the chimney to the wrong ridge vent.
My guess would be that the cast block/adapter breaking the flue out of the wall has been put the wrong way round - bricky just plonked them on without double checking. So the OPs flue goes through the neighbours loft, while neighbours flue goes through OPs loft.

Still, that's better than my flat - both flues for two flats go through the loft above the upstairs flat !
Although the chap upstairs is really nice, it's one more reason I've left the electric fire in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back