Neighbour's new extension wall & my extractor fan! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

We built an extension on our semi-detached property 1 year ago and now my neighbours want to do the same...

They want to maximise there space and want to build right on the boundary line - our external wall is 50mm from the boundary line so there new external wall would be 50mm from our wall... (With some kind roof so the boundary line is not breached)

What I need help with is that we have an extractor fan for the kitchen on our wall so can they build that close??! How would I access it for maintenance??! Are there any building regs that apply etc??

Please Help! :)

Terry

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be venting into their boundary so you should have taken it through the rear wall or roof.

Frankly though most domestic extractor fans are so crap they do barely anything (apart from make a lot of noise) so can't see it making anything worse.

You'll never be able to access it for maintenance unless you're a really really thin person.

Surely it's doesn't matter where the air goes? The extractor itself is on my property???

Also, I should have made it a bit clearer that it's not like one of those stupid little things, it a 90cm Samsung Cooker hood extractor that extracts some stupid amount of air per minute!

But yes, I agree, time to extract the air somewhere else, just wondering if I can make them pay for it not me as they want to get close and personal with my wall!

you must not position anything or discharge anything over the boundary

Sponsored Links
What maintenance would be required? Surely ay maintenance would be done from inside the kitchen?

Regardless of the above, I would think you'll either have to reroute your outlet through another wall or the roof, or you may be able to convert it to a recirculating system.

I don't blame your neighbours doing what they are doing, in an attempt to deflect all your cooking smells back where they belong.

Re-route it through the roof or out of another elevation like you should have done in the first place.

you must not position anything or discharge anything over the boundary

Hi big-all

What does 'not discharge anything over the boundary' mean in reality?

For example if I am 1 metre from my neighbour's boundary can I still not have an extractor pointed at his wall?

Thanks

you would install a deflection kit if theres a problem

2 inches is obviously discharging over the boundary
there are regulations directly for gas venting at or near a boundary
water is actual trespass suspect air exhaust will be more of a "nuisance" problem depending on smell volume and moisture content if discharging onto a wall

Maybe you could use some very flat, wide ducting to send the extracted air along the wall to the end?

I never understand why in a semi-detached house the new kitchen extension has to be detached. Just extend the existing party wall and build up to that.

Maybe you could use some very flat, wide ducting to send the extracted air along the wall to the end?

I never understand why in a semi-detached house the new kitchen extension has to be detached. Just extend the existing party wall and build up to that.
Completely agree Deluks.

Of course, if someone thinks you are getting anything for nothing - such as 6 inches of their land, they will make sure you build on your side only.
I wanted to get as much space as possible when I did my extension. I managed to persuade my next door neighbour to let me build astride the party boundary by saying "If you want to extend your house you can use my wall and I won't charge you anything".
A few months later my neighbour approached me one day and said "I think we're going to do an extension."!
At least they paid me for doing the drawings for them!

It can work fine if you get on well with your neighbour and they're actually gonna do it but when you once agreeable neighbour suddenly moves house without having done their extension and leaves you and your new neighbour with a boundary dispute its not such a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back