Neighbours objection, right of light, regulations

Sponsored Links
I would double check the dimensions. The average hip to gable is about 17m³ and a 2.5mx2.5m dormer x 10 metres long would be just under 33m³. So, unless you live in a larger than average house, you should be able to do both under PD.

Thanks again Jeds that's something I will definitely look into. My house is just a standard 3 bed detached

Jeds
As my house is a detached pyramid shape I am guessing I will need 2 x hip to gables calculations of @ 17 cubic metres, is that correct ?
Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Sorry to bang on about this, but even a hip-to-gable conversion wth a flat roof rear dormer would be unlikely to come out at +50m³ (assuming a typical pre-War house?).

Don't apologise Tony1851 I think you all may be right, I am trying to do the maths using formulas found on the net & it is quite a possibility to be under 50m cubed. My architect has never given me any dimensions or formula's, I just took his word that It was over the 50m cubed. My dormer will be under 6metres in length internal headroom I believe is 2.3m, roughly my house is 6 metres wide by 7.3metres deep and roof height I think is about 3 metres, although the architect has said I need to raise the ridge line by 300 mm, so it's nothing special

If you do need to raise the ridge you will need PP regardless of the volumes, although 3m height is usually plenty for a loft conversion.

Your 2x hip to gables would be about 11m³ each plus the dormer at about 15/16m³ is well inside 50m³.

Thanks Jeds these are the roughly the same calculations I worked out. The architect also only started talking about raising the ridge line when he told me I had to go to PP, I am definitely getting the feeling my architect is taking me for a ride.
Woody you read my mind, I am going to get a new architect & if he confirms my suspicions gonna get my money back off the original architect
Can't say how pleased I am to use this forum, once again thanks to everyone & I will post what my new architect has advised

"Raising the Ridge" is the critical point...that is what needs Planning.

I had a similar project where I got written confirmation that the dormer etc. was permitted development and once I had that I put in for the planning permission for raising the ridge as well as the dormer etc.

It spiked their guns over the dormer as they had already confirmed that element could be done under PD so that only really left the raised ridge as being potentially contentious. It was approved with very little hassle which was a pleasant surprise as that particular authority is usually a pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back