Neighbour's roof joining ours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours are doing a loft conversion and I noticed our joining tiles are like this. Does this look right? They said that the builder put lead flashing under or tiles and theirs and not to worry about water as it just flow down the roof. My tiles have also started to shift. I think there should be a border. As an aside, they never spoke to us about this work and is part of our party wall.
20221031_134300.jpg
20221031_121611.jpg

Attachments

• 20221031_121545.jpg
    20221031_121545.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Their builder is telling fibs. That's a massive bodge. Should be a bonding gutter between the rooves (due to the different headlap etc), should have asked your permission to disturb your roof covering, they now need to be told to come back and do it properly.

So you both have a loft conversion from what I can see, it looks like a small gap between the two, I'm wondering how they have managed to detail that area?
As for the join if they they have used some lead under the tiles then it should work if done correctly, but you can't see it so tell them you need photo evidence or ask the party wall surveyor / inspector to examine that detail.

Sponsored Links
It's possible to use a secret bonding gutter, without the upstand, but this should have a mortar joint

So you both have a loft conversion from what I can see, it looks like a small gap between the two, I'm wondering how they have managed to detail that area?
As for the join if they they have used some lead under the tiles then it should work if done correctly, but you can't see it so tell them you need photo evidence or ask the party wall surveyor / inspector to examine that detail.
yes. We had ours done 10 years ago and they are just building theirs. No idea how they have done their side of the dormer. I can see some tiles but no further than the front due to scaffolding. We questioned this but in the end they said their builder could water proof it.
We will ask for photo evidence of how it was done and ask for an inspection.

Lead is fine if done well. In fact imho better than a pre formed
Their tiles are sitting on top of our tiles. Is this how the lead joint should be? all the photos that I have found is that they should not be balancing onto of each other.

There is no need for Theirs to sit on yours . In fact they made work for their selves.
Ideally one needs to see what they have done out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back