Neon indicator in bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a heated towel rail in the bathroom. It is controlled by an electronic time switch in the same cupboard as the consumer units just outside the bathroom door. It's difficult to see the LCD on the timer so it's difficult to tell if you are switching it on or off when pressing the override button. There is a connecting block on the wall adjacent to the heater, which has shrouded screws so that no metalwork is visible externally, I've fitted a neon indicator inside the block and it's just about visible through the plastic, as long as the light level is not too high. Would it be permissible to fit the sealed plastic indicator through the wall of the block. If the drilled hole was a tight fit and the back of the head was bedded in sealant before tightening the locking ring, the integrity of the insulation shouln't be compromised.
The question isn't can it be done, but would it be permitted.

Sponsored Links
There's nowhere in the bathroom that is outside zone. I reckon the connection block counts as suitable for use as it was specified by the sparky's part P verifier when he came out to check the apprentice. Up to then the flexible cable from the heater disappeared down a hole behind the skirting and ran back to the time switch. So the question becomes would the modification I described render the box unsuitable. It would probably be less likely to admit water than the plastic to plastic face between the mounting box and the frontplate. I was surprised that he OK'd it as the edges are neither overlapping or have a rubber gasket.

There's nowhere in the bathroom that is outside zone.
You say your bathroom is less than 2250 x less than 1300 and the ceiling is less than 2250 high?

But you say the switch is outside the bathroom. Could you put an indicator near the switch?

Sponsored Links
Shall I qualify that. There's nowhere useful outside of zone 2, due to the door and cupboard doors. Yes I could put a light adjacent to the timer, but it would loose the advantages of
i) warning the rail may be hot
ii) immediate indication that "this" is (still)on. The room has underfloor heating so the rail only needs to be on when there are towels to dry or warm. Semi-retirement and working from home makes the timer fairly redundant.
The old pin type timers had the advantage that you could simply set a load of OFFs to compensate for forgetful users.
Alternatively does anyone know of a splashproof faceplate which combines an indicator lamp with a connector block.

I think he means a flex outlet plate

7967596.jpg

but I don't think they come with a neon.

Well since a flex outlet plate isn't suitably IP rated for zone 2 anyway....he could either remain non compliant and fit an unswitched fuse spur unit with neon or if the box is surface mounted could use a master seal box and FCU with neon with a suitably rated gland for the cable to exit the box I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back