Network Cable in conduit under screed

Why use conduit, any plumbing pipe will do.

I had a detached garage built many years ago and asked the builder to drop in a 'duct' between the house and the garage foundations. He did using 100mm soil pipe. Great until you try to pull a couple of cables through it and discover that he laid it in sections without proper joints and included two right angle bends in the middle to avoid other services! A very difficult cable pull! Also acted like a drain and filled with water too! Carefully check what the builder does...

Sponsored Links
Interesting. I can but presume that those tables will have been fairly well validated, but I have to say that I am a little surprised that such an approach always work. The implication seems to be that any combination of cables will fit in a conduit of a particular size, provided only that the sum of the 'factors' for the cables is no greater than the 'factor' for the conduit - which, intuitively, I would not necessarily have expected to always 'work' - what do you think?

Kind Regards, John

Why use conduit, any plumbing pipe will do.

I had a detached garage built many years ago and asked the builder to drop in a 'duct' between the house and the garage foundations. He did using 100mm soil pipe. Great until you try to pull a couple of cables through it and discover that he laid it in sections without proper joints and included two right angle bends in the middle to avoid other services! A very difficult cable pull! Also acted like a drain and filled with water too! Carefully check what the builder does...

100mm within my concrete slab would concern me structurally. Perhaps unnecessarily. I am going to get these which are super cheap. Also I should be able to get some nice smooth large radius turns using a blowtorch to bend them which I would not be able to do with a 100mm soil pipe.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
You really don't want to go to a blowtorch for bending this type of conduit! Just some warmth from a hair dryer can be quite sufficient to make it easier to form gentle curves, using the bending spring as mentioned.

You really don't want to go to a blowtorch for bending this type of conduit! Just some warmth from a hair dryer can be quite sufficient to make it easier to form gentle curves, using the bending spring as mentioned.
I've probably been watching too many people on youtube torching pipe. Hair dryer and spring it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back