Network Cable in conduit under screed

I know somewhere down the line I am probably going to upgrade to Cat7.
Why?
Not thinking about this until a few years. Just given the way that technology goes, Cat7 or it's successor will become the new standard and not just used in data centres. I always go over the top with future proofing and meeting current standards. If it's not Cat7 there will inevitably be some other cable I want to shove down there.

My current needs are based on HDT Base which recommends Cat6 instead of Cat 5e so it's not inconceivable that this will shift to something even higher.

Sponsored Links
Very small rodent? I once found the remnants of a shrew (I think!) in conduit!
Not unknown for a snake to find its way into conduit either if it can somehow get into one end via, say, an accessory box which has a fair-sized opening in it. Of course, for a run terminating indoors at both ends, it's probably all quite unlikely so long as the boxes at the terminations are fairly well closed, and if anything could get into those boxes you'd have a bigger overall problem with critters in the structure of the house to worry about than if one chewed through a network cable.

Sponsored Links
Of course, for a run terminating indoors at both ends, it's probably all quite unlikely so long as the boxes at the terminations are fairly well closed ...
A surprising number of the old metal backboxes in my installation seem to have 20mm knockouts unnecessarily (at least, per current usage) 'knocked out'. Plenty big enough for a shrew, or small mouse.

Kind Regards, John

Not thinking about this until a few years. Just given the way that technology goes, Cat7 or it's successor will become the new standard and not just used in data centres.
Why will it be needed in homes?

I always go over the top with future proofing and meeting current standards. If it's not Cat7 there will inevitably be some other cable I want to shove down there.
There may well be other cables you want to install. But you should still think about why you would upgrade to Cat7

My current needs are based on HDT Base which recommends Cat6 instead of Cat 5e so it's not inconceivable that this will shift to something even higher.
You do know that Cat7 is 10GbE, just like Cat6?

Not thinking about this until a few years. Just given the way that technology goes, Cat7 or it's successor will become the new standard and not just used in data centres.
Why will it be needed in homes?

In all likelihood it won't. In most circumstances Cat5e would have been sufficient but I am going by the specific requirements of a hardware manufacturer who states Cat6.

I always go over the top with future proofing and meeting current standards. If it's not Cat7 there will inevitably be some other cable I want to shove down there.
There may well be other cables you want to install. But you should still think about why you would upgrade to Cat7

I was just giving a potential example. As it stands Cat7 is beyond my requirements but 3 years down the line Cat7 or it's successor may not be when some new piece of hardware I want recommends it.

You do know that Cat7 is 10GbE, just like Cat6?
Actually I didn't. The only advantage I have heard to date is better shielding. This is not enough for me to justify it. My point is that if I had asked the same question in the period of Cat6 infancy everyone would be asking why bother going with Cat6 when Cat5e meets my requirements so now is the time when I would be needing to re-fish all my network cables. The original post was about ensuring that should I need to re-pull my cables, the conduit I put in is fit for this purpose.

Of course, for a run terminating indoors at both ends, it's probably all quite unlikely so long as the boxes at the terminations are fairly well closed ...
A surprising number of the old metal backboxes in my installation seem to have 20mm knockouts unnecessarily (at least, per current usage) 'knocked out'. Plenty big enough for a shrew, or small mouse.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John. Will factor in "shrew protection" ;) Given that all my conduit will be internal and I live in the city I should be ok with shrews but mice and rats are another story....

Thanks John. Will factor in "shrew protection" ;) Given that all my conduit will be internal and I live in the city I should be ok with shrews but mice and rats are another story....
I'm certainly found the remnants of small rodents in (internal) back boxes in my time! I'm not sure that cities are immune from shrews - they're essentially just 'small mice' - although, IME, with sharper teeth (and louder voices)!!

Kind Regards, John

Don't forget that network cables Cat5/6/7 etc, have minimum bend radii, so you need to make sure your bends don't violate these. Bending these cables too tightly, or kinking them during handling, causes an impedance discontinuity which results in signals being reflected, which can cause data errors on the link.

Don't forget that network cables Cat5/6/7 etc, have minimum bend radii, so you need to make sure your bends don't violate these. Bending these cables too tightly, or kinking them during handling, causes an impedance discontinuity which results in signals being reflected, which can cause data errors on the link.
Great advice. I am soon to be the proud owner of 35 of these. I haven't quite worked out how many I need just yet but surely not 35 right angle bends!!
Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 18.00.36.png
So my plan is to use 20mm rigid conduit with 2 Cat6 cables in each. There will be quite a few separate runs as I am feeding 4 different tvs and I may also use sone for the 5.1 speaker cable in the ceiling as Murphy's law says I will end up with a 4.1 following a poorly placed screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back