Never a truer word spoken...(cont)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No idea why the original was locked, but...

Ian H said:

"When they apply to work in the UK, if successful EU nationals could be given a photo work card, like a driving licence.

They could show that to any potential employee. Simple."

I assume that people realise that in order to prove that an EU citizen has or does not have the right to work here, UK citizens will have to do the same?

Not everyone has a driving licence/passport, and there are several times more NI numbers floating around than eligible persons.

Thus a national ID system will have to be set up.

The last time this was attempted to be enacted the cost was put at between £8-12bn (so expect it now to cost £20bn+), along with a massive intrusion into civil liberties given the cross platform approach.

Yet another price worth paying?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what this post is about, but anyway -

"When they apply to work in the UK, if successful EU nationals could be given a photo work card, like a driving licence.
They could show that to any potential employee. Simple."
Chicken and egg or catch 22?

It's already simple - Britain chooses not to do any of the simple things.

I assume that people realise that in order to prove that an EU citizen has or does not have the right to work here, UK citizens will have to do the same?
EU citizens do have the right to work in Britain.
That is what Freedom of Movement means.

Not everyone has a driving licence/passport,
How did they get into Britain, then?

I had to show one when entering France (I drove here).
Not sure what the nice men with the guns would have said had I not had a passport.

and there are several times more NI numbers floating around than eligible persons.
Some people must pay two or more lots of income tax. Dead people?

Thus a national ID system will have to be set up.
There already is one for working - NI number.

The last time this was attempted to be enacted the cost was put at between £8-12bn (so expect it now to cost £20bn+), along with a massive intrusion into civil liberties given the cross platform approach.
Best do like they do here - use another form of identification which people already have to get a tax number, without which you can't do some things.
It doesn't get much simpler.

Yet another price worth paying?
Free.

Update the national insurance card and the system that generates them. Add a picture and a bit more info.

I wonder how much the DVLA paid to update to the photocard driving licences?

Update the national insurance card and the system that generates them. Add a picture and a bit more info.

I wonder how much the DVLA paid to update to the photocard driving licences?

I doubt I am the only 1, but I don't have an NI card, but I have an NI number. I don't have a photocard driving licence, but I do have a driving licence. I also have a passport. I am a fully legal tax paying citizen. Why do I have to prove anything to anybody, I am British, I live and pay my dues here. I own property, and I have utility bills. I am fully traceable.

My parents had no NI card, driving licence, or passport. They were born and bred and lived all their life in the UK and paid all their dues. Why do people like them need ID cards?

Sponsored Links
I doubt I am the only 1, but I don't have an NI card, but I have an NI number. I don't have a photocard driving licence, but I do have a driving licence. I also have a passport. I am a fully legal tax paying citizen. Why do I have to prove anything to anybody, I am British, I live and pay my dues here. I own property, and I have utility bills. I am fully traceable.

My parents had no NI card, driving licence, or passport. They were born and bred and lived all their life in the UK and paid all their dues. Why do people like them need ID cards?

You misunderstand the reasoning behind the sort of ID card they want so desperately to introduce. It has nothing to do with being able to prove who you are.

You misunderstand the reasoning behind the sort of ID card they want so desperately to introduce. It has nothing to do with being able to prove who you are.

Nooo, I do understand.

I don't want an ID card, or system. I can prove who I am for all the purposes I need thank you.

Nooo, I do understand.

I don't want an ID card, or system. I can prove who I am for all the purposes I need thank you.

Then quite clearly you do misunderstand. It has nothing to do with you being able to prove who you are, there are many existing ways to do that. The ID system they want to introduce is about 'managing' your identity.

I don't want an ID card, or system.
Ok.

I can prove who I am for all the purposes I need thank you.
So you have all that is necessary to prove your identity. What system - oops sorry - do you use?

What should we call that?

Is it the word card that you don't like?

Do you have a bank 'thingy' for paying for other 'thingies'?

Then quite clearly you do misunderstand. It has nothing to do with you being able to prove who you are, there are many existing ways to do that. The ID system they want to introduce is about 'managing' your identity.

And if any immigrant (european or other) has to havecsuch an ID system, then obviously non immigrants will need 1 or similar too.

I don't want or see the need for an ID card or system of any sort.

If for any reason any authority needs or wants to check me out, they can.

So how do you suggest some people have this ID system, but some don't ?

Bingo!
Free?

Have you looked recently at what your passport costs?

Apart from the fact that an identity card will cost you at least the same amount, the infrastructure will cost the taxpayer at least the same amount that the tories have just announced as a 'bonus' for the NHS!

Why do I have to prove anything to anybody, I am British, I live and pay my dues here. I own property, and I have utility bills. I am fully traceable.

Nope, you are not 'fully traceable'...Government legislation puts the onus of proof on every individual citizen.
A passport is no longer proof of citizenship, and any error is nothing to do with the system!

And 'people like them' (and all of us) will in the future have to go through the ordeal of actually proving what we are are entitled to...repeatedly!

But hey, I guess that's a price worth paying if we are to weed out the small number of 'foreign freeloaders' ?

Ok.

So you have all that is necessary to prove your identity. What system - oops sorry - do you use?

What should we call that?

Is it the word card that you don't like?

No. I like the system of living legally and moving freely. The only time I need to prove anything is when I go abroad. Why do I need more to live and work here?

Please show the relevance of the nationality to the question.

Purely, I am British, I live in Britain.

If I leave the country I expect to produce a passport.

I don't want to prove anything else to anybody, unless some authority has a need to investigate me. It has not happened in my lifetime so far.

No. I like the system of living legally and moving freely.
Aren't there more cameras in Britain than other 'free' states?

What do you think other similar countries are like?

The only time I need to prove anything is when I go abroad.
What do you need to prove when you go abroad?

Why do I need more to live and work here?
You don't. There is already more than enough.

Sponsored Links
Back