neverending project - insulation and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hullo. Can anyone help me to work out which way to insulate under the floor in my living room. We have floorboards and a large crawl space underneath.
DIY books and colleagues have suggested blanket insulation and netting. Have started and actually stapling the insulation material to the joists seems to work ok - netting just to hold material in place right?

What depth insulation should be used - just trying 100mm - just to stop draughts to living space from air vents underneath.
However, can't find (after searching for some time) info. on whether insulation should be butted right up against the floorboards from underneath or suspended to leave a small space between the floorboards and the bottom of the joists - not hanging below joists but so still a space between floor boards and the insulation - to trap warm air - or will this cause condensation / stale air / problems.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The insulation should ideally be as deep as the floor joists. If not as deep, then the insulation should be tight up against the underside of the floorboards - no airspace

thanks Woody - that's kinda what I thought but only after I had come back up from under the floor! Finishing off today - thanks
:)

Easy way is to use Celotex/Kingspan rigid board insulation.

Easily cuts into strips to fit between the joists and then use foil tape to keep it in place and seal the edges.

Sponsored Links
thanks GoingDigital - however we'll have to stick with what we have now - although the boards would maybe have been better - there is not a great deal of space for getting them into position. We've got the eco friendly roll material so at least it's green and easy on the skin to use.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back