NEW Air Source Heat Pump - house is cold :(

I live in an old property. I've had internal wall and loft insulation installed. I've had a new ASHP installed last week and my biggest fear seems to be coming true. The house is just really cold. The radiators are warm at the bottom but mostly cold. The temperature in the house won't get above 17.8 degrees and the ASHP is running constantly to achieve that. It's about 8-10 degrees outside currently.

Any tips? (other than putting the old oil boiler back!)
What output was your old boiler and any idea of the ASHP output, also as pointed out the rads shouldn't just warm at the bottom even if the flowtemp is "only" 36C they should be at least lukewarm all over.
Do the new rads look physically larger than the old, also if you could run with a flow temp of 45C then you will get ~ 33% rad output vs say 20% (of 50deg rad).

Sponsored Links
Interestingly I've just turned the radiators in the two bedrooms right down and now the remaining rads are feeling much warmer all over. What might this mean?

Sponsored Links
Heatpump too small and house not insulated enough are the same thing the pump is designed to replace the energy lost by the house at a set outdoor temp if it looses more than that the pump is too small if it looses less than that the pump is bigger than strictly needed

I live in an old property. I've had internal wall and loft insulation installed. I've had a new ASHP installed last week and my biggest fear seems to be coming true. The house is just really cold. The radiators are warm at the bottom but mostly cold. The temperature in the house won't get above 17.8 degrees and the ASHP is running constantly to achieve that. It's about 8-10 degrees outside currently.

Any tips? (other than putting the old oil boiler back!)

Part L Building Regs; replacing a fixed appliance with one with an efficiency less than the one being removed is contrary to regas. Should be HP or a better efficiency appliance than the HP.

Interestingly I've just turned the radiators in the two bedrooms right down and now the remaining rads are feeling much warmer all over. What might this mean?
Could be as simple as the circulating pump isn't keeping up, or could be that the heat pump is incorrectly specified. What circulating pump was fitted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back