New alarm system query. Is this overkill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at putting in an alarm system in to my house as at the moment we are having major renovations and it seems like the perfect time to do it.

I'm going to install it myself with help from a mate who installed his own and have been recommended a Texecom system and am happy to use this.

So my query is how many sensors?

I have so far planned to put a PIR in every room/hall which has a window or external door plus window vibration sensors on all the windows. So this will be 10 PIR, 12 window sensors, 5 door sensors and 2 smoke alarms.
There would be 2 keypads, one near the front door and one upstairs.

I'm starting to think this might be overkill but this will be the one chance to put a system in easily. I did think even if I don't install all the sensors I would atleast run the cable to where I would have them incase I change my mind at a later date.

Views, comments ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
While you have the opportunity get as much cable in as possible, even if you don't put in all the sensors at the moment. It's not overkill if you are looking at these proper systems.

I upgraded ours last summer with a Texecom and think it's a great system that does what I want it to do, not what the manufactures think you want. The expanders really save on the wiring runs allowing you to group sensors in different areas of the house linked by a single wire.

Alan

Sponsored Links
It's not overkill until you have contacts on every opening window and the loft hatch, dual path signalling (RedCare GSM/Secure or DualCom), internal Masterblaster sirens (127dB) and a Smoke Cloak! :LOL:

I know some houses which come close to this... (and they're not that big or isolated, either). :rolleyes:

Absoloutely as has been said, alarm cable is cheap. Put in runs every where you can conceive maybe wanting a detector now or in the future, and don't worry about maybe not using them.

It'll be a nightmare to try and get a missed wore in somewhere you find you NEED a detector after the renovation work is finished.

Contacts on windows may be ovekill, but the contacts cost about a quid each, and if nothing else, they can be a good reminder that you've left a window open when you're heading out somewhere.

Don't forget any garages / out buildings too.

I've got maybe 30 odd active zones on my texecom premier system at home.

Its a couple of years since I fitted alarms but on my own system on the windows I used Viper GLX vibration detectors.

These allow you to set the onboard red led to flash continually on and off so as to be a very good visual deterant especially after dark.

I have them on my lounge, conservatory, garage and shed windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back