New Alarm System

breezer said:
nope. it doesnt compy.

what you suggest does not comply to a fire alarm (as RF Lighting pointed out and as i already said, you must have a sounder in each sleeping area /room) yours doesnt

BCO want smoke detectors with integral sounders, all interconected, then fit smoke detectors with integral sounders, all interconected.

or ask them, but i bet they wont accept yoor proposal, as i have said i have seen smoke detectors fitted to intruder alarms, they don't accept them.

I have read through the electrican's guide and cannot find anywhere where it states that there should be a sounder in each bedroom. The only place I can find states:

Page 163: '1.11 Smoke alarms should normally be positioned in the circulation spaces between sleeping spaces and places where fires are most likely to start (eg kitchens and living rooms) to pick up smoke in the early states, while also being close enough to bedroom door for the alarm to be effective when occupants are asleep'

The fire alarm I propose is interlinked from a central control panel and there will be a sounder close enough to the bedrooms to be heard.

If you could point me to the specific regulations for what you state about there needing to have sounders in the bedrooms, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Adam.

Sponsored Links
crapday said:
If its for you personal residence then the BCO wont be interested, will he not only get involved if the property will be let?

Hmmm.

I have just re-read a section in the 16ed and it states that The Building Regulations .... require all new and refurbished dwellings to be fitted with mains operated smoke alarms

Our home is not either new or being refurbished. So we basically, as you say, do not have to comply with any standards. Therefore the smokes connect to an intruder alarms will be fine, as the BCO will not be interested.

That puts an end to all the other discusions then I reckon! :LOL:

Adam.

but didn't you say

eyeofthebeholder said:
Also, I have heard that as the smokes don't have inbuilt sounds (they rely on the external sounder) they will not pass building regs.

Is this correct?

Should I get 240v powered from the lighting/their own circuit instead?

Thanks

Adam.
:LOL:

yes in your case it doesnt have to comply, but it will / may when you sell the house.

and also for saftey sake put in something separate, dont use the intruder alarm its not a good idea, unless you have 2, yes 2 panels, install one yourself with just smoke detectors on it.

The reason you couldn't find a reg stating that you must put a sounder in every sleeping area is simple. there isn't one in the OSG

Its a FIRE Reg, as in fire alarms which technicaly speaking is a job for a specalised company.
They install the fire alarms to fire regs.

Hi Breezer,

I have been thinking over night and this morning about this, and you are right, I should really put the fire alarms on a different system to the intruder alarm.

I may be slightly confused to how the OSG describes the fire systems. It seems to seperate an actual alarm system (with control panel etc.) and a basic system interlinking the alarms over 230v. Is this correct? If so, I assume there is more stringent regs for how to install the more advanced system. So I can't install an advanced system to meet the regs of a 'basic' system. I hope this makes sense??

I was thinking of installing this system as I linked previously (ESP Fireline) for my own needs, including dectors in the bedrooms etc. When I do come to sell the house, the system can then be verified for meeting the regulations. If it doesn't the necessary changes can then be made (eg adding a sounder to the detectors etc).

Do you happen to have a link or document showing the Fire regs, so at least I can see what regulations I am suppose to meeting.

Thanks

Ad.

Sponsored Links
i am sorry but no i dont have a link for you :cry:

but as a rule of thumb you should have a sounder in each "sleeping room" and one on each level

each level (of sounders) should be on a separate cct (so if one goes the othe still works) it should also be in fire resistant cable

smoke detectors with integral sounders like the bco want / require (not that you are having building work done) only comply to building regs. what you connect them with comes under electrical regs, i.e 3 core and earth

there are various regulations you need to consider for your fire alarm, the OSG is purly a interpretation guide to 7671.
The reqirement for sound levels and system design comes from 5839. mains operated smokes are not anything to do with 5839 nor are ones linked to your intruder alarm. In time th only way to get a brigade response will be have your fire alarm installed and serviced by an approved fire contractor

securitywarehouse said:
In time th only way to get a brigade response will be have your fire alarm installed and serviced by an approved fire contractor

mate used to work for an intruder alarm co, they hold a record as being the only alarm company who have had responce withdrawn for "fire alarms" by the fire brigade.

yes they can do this becuase they can and did.

I should point out it was smoke detectors on intruder alarms they installed, but the FB got so many false alarms..............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back