New bandsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend me a new band saw (single phase) that will rip through 3 inches of solid oak with ease.
Budget £2k.
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nor - with that whopping budget you should go for industrial stuff, think about pre-owned, consider 3 phase and get a single to 3 ph converter to supply it. This route will be within your budget.

Google used machinery or woodworking machinery and you'll find loads of suppliers of solid quality tackle up for your task. Where in the UK are you?

Most trade quality tackle will get through your oak but if you're cutting loads of it go industrial strength.

Thanks for that Symptons. I have a small Startrite at the moment which is Ok for light sawing and would like something more hefty to rip a large plank. Three phase might be the way to go.

Sponsored Links
£2K?!!! Good Grief! :eek: You could have pretty much any bandsaw you want for that.

Record Power's largest bandsaw will meet your needs and only cost you £800. Single-phase should suffice, will be cheaper to run and won't require a wiring upgrade.

What are you going to be doing with it? 3" ripping only? Deep (>6") resawing sometimes? Curves?

As mentioned, for £2k you can get a very nice industrial quality saw but if you are only cutting small widths at 3" deep then you don't really need a 2 grand saw. If it is for your trade on the other hand and need versatility then I can personally recommend the Axminster Plus range.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Plus-AP4300-T3-Bandsaw-780613.htm

I have the older version of this and it is excellent. I've cut through 6" thick hard maple, and 10" thick bubinga without a problem. If you need the straightest cuts possible and the extra width capacity then get the next model up which will support, and more importantly, adequately tension a 1" blade. If you are new to bandsaws then the rule of thumb regarding maximum widths is to always use 1 size down from the manufacturers recommended maximum. A 1" blade withough sufficient tension is going to be useless compared to a 3/4" blade with plenty of tension.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Plus-AP5300-T3-Bandsaw-780620.htm

Remember that a good blade is vital to accurate cuts on any machine, but the bandsaw is particularly vulnerable. Don't scrimp on the blades - I highly recommend Dragon Saws. Their 1" Ripper blade is the dogs wotsits.

Went for the Metabo Band Saw BAS 505 G in the end from a local supplier. £900.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back