New Bathroom waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We've had built two bedrooms and an en suite bathroom in the roof of our chalet bungalow and its my job to fit them out. The en suite is at the front and the soil stack is at the back, a straight run of about 16 feet. The bath will be next to the toilet and the waste for this can run beside the toilet waste and eventually run into it outside, I guess a run of 18 feet. The basin is another story, its really going to be on the wrong wall for an efficient waste. The way I see it is it will need to run along the front wall of the ensuite before turning at right angles and joining up, or running along side with the bath waste. The more I try to tweak the layout, the more confused I get. So, the questions on the above I have are.

Is this macerator time? With such long distances involved, especially for the sink.

What is the minimum drop required on the toilet waste. I was told I'll need a 1:50 drop. The distance between the downstairs celiing and the floor upstairs is 9 inches. If I use a 4" pipe, I have a 5" drop, which would allow me to run a waste pipe for 250", or just over 20 feet. IS this right?

If I do need a macerator, are they available to take the waste from the batch, toliet and basin?

thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
I would avoid the macerator if at all possible. It'll break down more often than a piece of pipe and it won't help get round those gradient and length limits.

First of all, the toilet. You can have as long a run as you like as long as you can accommodate the slope. I've always found a slope of one in forty to be good enough and you can just about achieve this. Incidentally, which way do the joists go?

The bath and basin can share a common pipe. You'll notice that the web page on that link talks about unventilated waste pipes. This is an important detail. The moving column of water in an unvented pipe can suck your traps out. There are two ways out of this.

Solution one is a revent. You tee a small pipe (overflow size) into the top of the waste not too far from the trap(s) and run it up and out and into the soil stack above all the other junctions. This allows air into your waste to break the suction.

Solution two is a bit of a cheat but it works. Increase the diameter of the pipe after the first couple of metres. The bigger pipe will not be able to 'run full' on the flow from the smaller one(s) so air from the soil stack will always reach the end(s) of the smaller pipe(s).

I nearly forgot ---

The en suite is at the front and the soil stack is at the back

Who's bright idea was that? :!: :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
Or you could save a lot of messing about and fit two Hep VO traps instead!
They are waterless traps and rely on a diaphram closing to prevent smells entering back into the room. They are fully compliant with water regs and they allow you to have as long a pipe run as you wish.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back