new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to divide a bedroom up to give me the space to put in a new bathroom
So I was thinking a stud wall and new door opening onto the hallway
My question is will I need a window or will a extractor fan do
Will I need means of escape (i.e., a big window)?
Any other advice will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You don’t need a window but will need an externally vented extractor fan. If opening onto a hallway, you need to check landing space & proximity to any stairway; regs apply. Stud walls between a bedroom (or any habitable room) & a room containing a W/C must have sound insulation properties (Soundblock PB & internal insulation). If on the 1st floor, you will need to provide a vented soil stack & connection to the foul drain which is notifyable to your LABC as is any electrical work, for which a bathroom/shower room is classed as a special location.

Richard has given you excellent advice there.
Whenever we install ensuites where access is tight we opt for bifold doors. Opening onto a hallway has its obvious risks so a bifold door usually solves the problem.

Good luck
Pete

Hi
Thanks for the advice
Just to clarify I live in a bungalow and the bathroom is not a on suite it will be to replace the existing bathroom as this will be knocked trough to make a bigger kitchen,
I intend to go onto the existing soil that is under the floor along the hall so the WC will be against an internal wall
The door to the bathroom will be the existing bedroom door and I will knock a new doorway though to the bedroom.
So no means of escape is needed?
Just wondering if it will feel to dark?

Sponsored Links
So no means of escape is needed?
Other than out through the door, no! But you will need an extractor fan either through an external wall or ducted through the loft & out through the eves.
Just wondering if it will feel to dark?
That rather depends on how you light it! My en-suite has no window but both ceiling & low level lighting & its fine.

You will need sound insulation on the stud between the w/c & the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back