New bedroom LED light turns off en-suite bathroom fan randomly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help me. I have a bedroom with a en-suite bathroom. The bathroom light turns on the fan and when the bathroom light goes off, it remains on for 15 mins. I recently replaced the bedroom light next door from a halogen unit, to a 4 way LED spot. Now, if the fan is running in the bathroom and I turn on the bedroom light, it shuts down! This is random it does not always do this. Is it possible my new LED lights are interfering with it in some way? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
" replaced the bedroom light next door"
....do you mean in another bedroom ,that doesn't have the en suite ???
Fitting a different light fitting wouldn't have the effect you describe ,but wiring it incorrectly might.

Sorry no. I was not clear, jut the one bedroom. So the bedroom has an en-suite bathroom, all i have done is replace the bedroom light with an LED fitting, that is it. But i have noticed if the fan is running in the en-suite, and i turn on the LED light in the bedroom, the fan stops. Sometimes it restarts again after a few seconds, sometimes it does not. I cant see what wiring mistake might cause this?

Have you loosened off any switches ,or done any work on switches?
Are bedroom and ensuite light switches together on one switchplate ?

Sponsored Links
No I have not touched the switches. Both the bedroom and bathroom have separate switches on different walls. All i did was remove the halogen light disconnected the three cables live/neutral/earth from their connecting blocks in the ceiling under the unit. Wired in the new fitting in and reattached. Could it be a leak to earth?

Are there any permanent lives ,in a terminal block maybe, in the ceiling above the light fitting.
Leak to earth ... No.
Loose connection on permanent live to fan is a possibility.

Did you join all 3 lives, all 3 neutrals and all 3 earths together

There were four ‘wago spring loaded orange lever terminal blocks’ underneath the lighting unit. Three blocks had a number of other cables going into them. I assumed these three were for the live/neutral/earth lighting circuit (colours are right) and the last block was the return from the bedroom switch. I can’t see wiring the new lamp to the wrong block would cause this fault, so I am pretty sure I wired it correctly. The light functions fine.

A wire may have come loose perhaps from one of the lighting circuit blocks. But if that wire was feeding the en-suite next, why does it not affect the en-suite light as well. Also I am concerned about intermittent nature of the fault. It as if the fan is getting a signal to turn off occasionally when I turn on the bedroom light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back