Lighting / swithing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with lighting and can’t seam to find anyone with the same problem.

I replaced a light in my bathroom (100 watt), and stupidly took no notes of what wire did what. (I wish I found this site first)

I have three 2 core + earth wires in the ceiling. I thought I had wired the light correctly but now have a problem I just can’t understand.

The light works fine – on and off, but now the ceiling fan + light in my bedroom does not work properly. The 3 50watt halogens on the light do not work at all, and the fan is very slow.

Also when I turn my bedroom fan/ light on, the bathroom light turns on (very dim) If my bedroom light is on (bathroom light will be on dim) and I use the bathroom light switch, by bedroom fan stops working, and the bathroom light works properly.

I think my bedroom light is the last in the run, and the bathroom the 2nd to last. There are 3 other lights in the run, all 20 watt energy savers.

I must have linked the two switches somehow?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My brother in law done that once, One of the black wires is live, he managed to sort it using a 4 way connector block all red together,all earths together, all blacks together apart from live, and the live black by itself. Then live blck to red on light, all earths to earth all neutrals to neutral. Red does not get connected back up, this is just to transfer power through connectors to other lights/switchs on circuit.

Hey wierd.
I found this picture that Spark123 drew, in the 'For Reference' section at the top of the forum.
It is just what you need

chockblock9jz.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks people. Its all working now.
As the old wire was so hard to work with, I used a junction box in the loft, then sent the correct wires to the light below. (much easer than working upside down with my arms above my head)

The diagram was very helpful

Thank you all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back