Help with wiring a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly - hands up - I didn't take any notice when I removed the last light so now have issues with my wiring.That's where I need your help. The issue is that with the way I have currently wired the light in the bathroom it works but the bedroom light switch also switches it on and off and the light in the bedroom doesn't come on. From the attached picture of the wiring what do I need to do to correct it so that (1) the light switch in the bedroom doesn't have any control of the bathroom light, (2) the light in the bedroom actually works, and (3) the light in the bathroom continues to work. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_143941.jpg
    IMG_20180727_143941.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
You basically have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I put the insulation tape on it because there was a break in the casing.

Sponsored Links
What is likely is the black wires are wrong.
So likely black wires are.
a) Neutral in
b) Neutral to bed room
c) switched line
So if instead of the two neutrals together you have neutral to bedroom and switched line together then the bedroom light will not work as it has no neutral, but the bathroom one will.

So you have to work out which is neutral to next lamp and which is switched line, easiest and safest way is with power off using a multi-meter or other unit to bell out the switched line, however removing the neutral feed to next lamp will not stop bathroom light from working, so removing one of the pair of blacks will have no effect, and the other with stop bathroom light working, the latter will be switched line and should have red tape on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back