New black versus old grey guttering!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya.
First post here, so go easy on me!
We moved into our new place about 6 months ago and have been gradually doing it up. I've been taking the guttering off to treat and paint the facias properly, and have snapped a few of the 'clasps' holding the seperate bits of the old grey guttering together and the kind of 'funnel' piece that connects the gutters to the downpipe. "No probs", I thought, as I bought new ones from Wickes. They were black instead of grey but I couldn't find grey ones anywhere - they were obviously the right size, so I bought new clasps in black.
Imagine my joy when they didn't fit! :rolleyes:
It looks like sometime in the last 13yrs since the house was built, crafty guttering makers have shrunk the diameter of that 4 or 5 inch guttering by a TINY amount, about 5mm! They're obviously intending to force people to go out and buy whole new lengths of new guttering when all they need to replace is a little piece here or there...
I can just file away a little bit of the old guttering to make it fit into the clasps and it will work ok, but I have to admit it will look a bit crap having a few black bits in the middle of the grey.
So - my question is this. Does anyone still do the old size grey 5" guttering? Where can I get some?
Any advice here is really welcome, thanks in advance.
Julian.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back