New boiler and gas pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quick search, random results......

Long story short, new combi boiler (Biasi 28 HE, 7 trv's, 2x 1600 by 600 double rads, 2x 1200 by 500 double rads, 1x 1400 x 500 single, filling loop, vent pipe and 8 rad valves - £630 - B&Q HeatPack offer)

Existing 15mm gas pipe to bathroom where old boiler was, been told needs to be 22mm all the way from gas meter to boiler - surely this can't be right?! Anyone confirm this please?

Sponsored Links
Yes, 22mm, depending on distance, amount of bends, could even make it to 28mm in part.

Well I can't confirm that it needs to be 22mm as you haven't stated lengths of pipe and number of elbows etc and whether any other appliances are off this pipe run, but I can confirm that 15mm is not enough unless the boiler is sat on top of the gas meter :rolleyes:

You may well need some 28m if far enough away. What size gas inlet is on the Biasi? MI's will state not to connect with a pipe of less diameter than their inlet, at least :eek:

Thanks for replys, much appreciated.
Existing pipe run is approx 3m up wall where meter is, then bend off, run of about 7m along joists from front of house to back, second bend to bring through floorboards in bathroom, then up to boiler.

Existing plan of pipe here.....

gasmap.gif

Sponsored Links
I would personally run 28mm from the meter to the first floor then 22mm the rest of the way.

Agree with above.

Don't you just love those heat packs....cheap and nasty rad valves (chuck 'em all in the bin where they belong) and radiators that always look a mess 'cos they don't fit properly. :LOL:

Gasguru said:
Agree with above.

Don't you just love those heat packs....cheap and nasty rad valves (chuck 'em all in the bin where they belong) and radiators that always look a mess 'cos they don't fit properly. :LOL:

LOL!!! To be fair though, looking at them they aren't that bad, and it's my first house that has a lot of shocking things being removed!

CHEEP! Says the poor bird!

Anyway, intention is to sell when done, as offered a bloody job miles away!

Wardster said:
LOL!!! To be fair though, looking at them they aren't that bad..... intention is to sell when one

Many heating installers can't tell decent radiator valves from the crap and most diyer's certainly can't.

So what about the unlucky sod who buys your house.... ends up with a crap system because you have no conscience.....what a wonderful society we have become :( glad your not one of my customers.... I'd tell you where to shove your boiler. :LOL:

Don't suppose your bothering with cleaner and inhibitor either.

Gasguru said:
Wardster said:
LOL!!! To be fair though, looking at them they aren't that bad..... intention is to sell when one

Many heating installers can't tell decent radiator valves from the rubbish and most diyer's certainly can't.

So what about the unlucky s** who buys your house.... ends up with a rubbish system because you have no conscience.....what a wonderful society we have become :( glad your not one of my customers.... I'd tell you where to shove your boiler. :LOL:

Don't suppose your bothering with cleaner and inhibitor either.

Actually, my house is mine to live in until I sell it (if I do) due to being offered a job miles away!
Might not sell it anyway just yet, as the work that's left is quite substantial!

And, as is said up north.... ! Gi'ooer! As if I'm going to have a new system installed without a flush and inhib installed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back