New Boiler help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have decided after getting a £400 gas bill to replace our boiler as the one we have is like something out of the Ark.
The Boiler we have is a not a combi, i think i would like a combi as when we need hot water we need to switch the full system on.
We have phoned British Gas and n power to come out and give us a price.
n power are also giving 5 years servicing with a new boiler.
Do you think we are better off going with one of the big names or trying to go local ?
and what price should we be looking at ?
We live in a 3 bed terrace with 7 rads in. the boiler we have is a gloworm spacesaver ( it dont seem that small to me )
Thanks for any help..... :(

Sponsored Links
hi!
i am not an expert, but after the fiasco you will read about with British Gas taht i had to go through, i have learnt quite a bit about boilers and heating etc.

as i have said in my posting, all you need to do is take a trip to your local B&Q and there you will see quite a good range of boilers, many of them "big" name ones too.
if you want hot water and central heating to come from one unit, go for the combi--this will set you back around £600 to £800 depending on which model you choose--fitting will of course cost you extra, which you can get done by any local Corgi fitter.

if you want a separate system, ie one system to supply hot water and another for the heating, you can go for a water heater (they used to be called geysers in the old days!) and a boiler for the central heating.

ok, this will cost a little more than a single unit, but i have heard that combi units are not very reliable, and if they go faulty, which is very common, you stand to lose your hot water and/or heating at the same time.

whatever you do, DO NOT ask British Gas--they will probably quote you around £2000 to £3000 for the job!!!!!!!!!

Have decided after getting a £400 gas bill to replace our boiler as the one we have is like something out of the Ark.
The Boiler we have is a not a combi, i think i would like a combi as when we need hot water we need to switch the full system on.
We have phoned British Gas and n power to come out and give us a price.
n power are also giving 5 years servicing with a new boiler.
Do you think we are better off going with one of the big names or trying to go local ?
and what price should we be looking at ?
We live in a 3 bed terrace with 7 rads in. the boiler we have is a gloworm spacesaver ( it dont seem that small to me )
Thanks for any help..... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back