New boiler settings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post here. Thanks in advance for any replies received.
I have found this site very helpful in the past but can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I've just finished major works to my house and had a new heating system installed. I have a Vaillant boiler (separate controls for heating and water) and an ariston hot water tank. The system is unvented. I have one thermostat (dial) in the house. My question was:

If I set the hot water tank at max temp (there is a dial with no numbers), and the boiler hot water at, say, 50, would the temperature be determined by the tank or boiler.

Is it the same for heating i.e. if I set the heating at max on the boiler and, say 20, on the thermostat.

I suppose what I'm asking is what is the 'primary controller' for heat output.

I have set up the two instances above but the water and heating are extremely hot in both cases i.e. the thermostat for heating and boiler control for water don't seem to have any effect. The plumber in the building team said the two instances above should work but, as I say, I have tried and it doesn't seem to.

Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber.
The temp on the boiler is the temp from the boiler, ie supplies other systems.
The room t/stat controls the temp of the room(s).
The cylinder stat controls the temp of the hot water in the cylinder.

The cyl stat controls the hot water PROVIDING its wired correctly to the motor vave!

BUT the boiler CH temp has to be above the cyl stat setting ( 50°-60° ) by about 10° !

The instalers should have been able to explain all this to you.

Have you received by post a blue Certificate?

Tony

yes he should have sorted all this out, ignore the boiler control knob for hot water temp, that is ONLY for combi's does nothing on your boiler. and quite right were is certificate?

Sponsored Links
Thank you agile and Peter for your quick and helpful responses. In response to Agile- how would I know my boiler ch temp is 10deg above the cyl temp if there are no numbers on the cyl dial? It just has an arrow that gets thicker to indicate hotter temp. Also, to let you know, I put the dials on boiler and cyl to max for hot water but the hot water is now lukewarm at best. I changed the settings 24hours ago. This is strange as I have done the same thing before and the water has been scalding hot.

Many thanks again.

its madness really you have to run the heating hotter than the hot water even though the boiler clearly shows a dial for heating and a doal for the hot water...

I would invest in the vr65 which activates both dials, to which you could add a vrc 470...

They make for a great install...enabling you to match the heating system to your property...

Thanks peter (again) and alec for the swift response. I am meeting the main builder during the week as he's having a look at some other things that need fixing (this doesn't inspire alot of confidence) so will let him know your thoughts.

Many thanks again for the help and advice. Hopefully I won't need to post again as it'll be fixed!

You should be speaking about the heating to a gas safe registered installer who should speak good English.

Do ask for the boiler to be notified for which you will then be posted a blue Certificate.

A Gas Safety Certificate is not the same thing and is not required anyway.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I didn't know about the Blue certificate - i thought it was just the Gas safety cert that was required. I won't be at the property for a few days but when I'm back I will adjust the settings so that the ch temp is hotter than the hw temp.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back