New boiler time recommendations..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property has a flow rate of 10/11L
Currently an old gravity fed system which is running off an old glowworm space server 2.

2 bathrooms, 1wc, 2 kitchen sinks and around 14 radiators.

Taking the old gravity fed system out due to multiple engineers who have said low water pressure will happen for the upstairs bathroom. ( Currently do not have a bathroom upstairs in the loft ).

This is probably true, due to not having enough rise.

Budget around 1 to 1.2k for a boiler.

What was looking at the following
glow worm energy store c35.
Valiant 938 store
( Above are a little out of my budget)

Or a

Glow worm Ultimate 2 35k
Baxi duo advanced blue.

I have had previous glow worms, no issues.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you budgeted for the installation cost?
With that flow rate absolutely pointless going for anything above 20/30kw unless you will upgrade your mains at a later. It would be like buying a ferrari with it limited to 50mph.

Yes the install costs are ontop.
Around 1100£.

A few days work to rip it out and replace it all.
And new gas pipes etc. It's been fitted completely in a new location.

The price difference between a 30/35 is very little just gives me more heating capacity for the radiators:)

Sponsored Links
If the flow rate is that poor from the cold tap, pointless specifying a big outputboiler like that regardless the price difference. In fact two bathrooms from a combi is a non starter.

Try getting the incoming cold service to deliver more water. Go for 24kw combi ( supplying water to kitchen, possibly shower too) and UV cylinder for second bathroom

14 radiators is unlikely to be more than 20kW. Going for something massively oversized will just result in higher gas bills

Unvented cylinder, unvented cylinder, unvented cylinder, unvented cylinder

Do you get the drift?

Do I simply move the tanks and use in-line pumps for a new shower and cold water taps upstairs >?

The pump cannot suck water out of the mains to increase the flow rate into the property. It increases the flow rate by using a small tank as a store, once that tank is emptied the flow rate goes back to the amount that the supply pipe delivers to the property.
My property has a flow rate of 10/11L

Flomate brochure said:
Flomate Mains Boost Extra will deliver up to 16 litres/minute flow at 3.0 bar pressure to multiple outlets within the property, up to the preset cut-in limit of the 80 litre pressure vessel, at which time the system will deliver 12 litres/minute until demand ends and the pressure vessel recharges.

up to the preset cut-in limit of the 80 litre pressure vessel

Is 80 litres adequate for your needs ?

so whats my options guys ?

It's very likely that you need to replace your incoming water pipe, and that this will greatly improve flow.

How old is your house? How far is it from the road? Is the waterpipe lead, iron, copper or plastic? What colour? What diameter?

:)
I am not sure on the pipe sizes inside the house, nor do I know if they are leaded or what pipe feeds the house.
everything is hidden behind the kitchen units.. I am not sure what is behind all of it.

I have spoken to yorkshire water and they state they only have to deliver 9L per min (thats it).

My stop cock is on a public pavement and having opened the flap and looked inside, I actually can't see anything (pipe size).

After a lot of thinking and reading up here lots, I've decided to;

Not install the Vaillant 938 It only has 2 7.5L tanks..!
The Glowworm C35 looked like another option has 2 x 21L tanks but with small warranty. (installer says plasticy inside, will probably leak).

I have opted on purchasing a Baxi Duo-tech 33KW, flows 13.5L ( 7 year warranty)
- Eventually replace all the taps with 'lower litres use ones'
- Use a 5L per min shower head
- and run an electric shower put upstairs (in the loft).

When I replace my kitchen I check on the internal pipes, replace if necessary. I am aware that the pipes leading into the hotwater tank and the header tank are all 24mm copper.

It's very likely that you need to replace your incoming water pipe, and that this will greatly improve flow.

How old is your house? How far is it from the road? Is the waterpipe lead, iron, copper or plastic? What colour? What diameter?

this is one option, but my house is a bit of distance away from the pavement, in a straight line around 14 Meters. I have a tarmac drive I rather not dig up.
another option is to swing the pipe around the soil area of the garden but this makes the run very large, probably 20 meters.!

How deep does the pipe need to be buried ?
House is 1900 / 1920s or something like that

I have a tarmac drive I rather not dig up.

They might not need to - its called Moling (as in the little blind rodent)

How deep does the pipe need to be buried ?

750mm

It makes a huge difference. We do a lot of work for a builder in specific area of London. He lives in the same area. Usually we up the water main as part of the renovations; and none of his customers have reported problems running multiple showers off the mains directly (unvented cylinders, not combi's). on his own house, he neglected to upgrade the first 2 metres of water main, and he can't run two decent showers at the same time..... Oh the irony.

They might not need to - its called Moling (as in the little blind rodent)

750mm

It makes a huge difference. We do a lot of work for a builder in specific area of London. He lives in the same area. Usually we up the water main as part of the renovations; and none of his customers have reported problems running multiple showers off the mains directly (unvented cylinders, not combi's). on his own house, he neglected to upgrade the first 2 metres of water main, and he can't run two decent showers at the same time..... Oh the irony.

I suspect its old crap pipe that I have.

I didn't know they can mole, is that charged per meter ?

I may however dig in the soil and see how deep i can get, one sunny day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back