New Boiler - valve hammer - should they fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is not a complaint about an installer, I'm just checking before approaching him.

I had a new boiler fitted a few weeks ago, good job, all fine... then a few days later a TRV started thumping... it stopped when the valve was turned ever so slightly... later it would start again... so turned it off... then a little latter another radiator started doing the same thing...

To cut a long story short, it seems by the arrows on the old trvs that the water flow has been reversed and they are not bi directional valves - hence the banging.

What should the installer do about this? Is it up to them to sort this out?

Thank you in advance. ArthurD

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us the old and new boiler models?

The flow and return must have been crossed.

Personally I would take responsibility and go back and swap the pipe work over. Or give the customer the option of replacing the valves at a reasonable price. Most trvs these days are bi directional so presumably your current ones are fairly old.

Give the guy a call and just explain the issue your having, I would expect any reputable installer to wouldn't have a problem with it

Thanks. The old boiler was a 20 + year old Mydas, the new one is a 28 Vailiant.

I think, as you say, they simply crossed over the in and out as it were.

I'll do as you say and ask.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back