New boiler: Viessmann?

I am an approved installer for Viessmann and can offer a 5 year guarantee on fitting these boilers.

I have been fitting viessman 100 and 200's exclusively for the last 2 and a half years and have fitted over 40, you want a list of the faults?

1. Faulty ignition blocks (giving F4 faults) both gray and black units

2. Faulty PCBs (giving F4 faults)

3. Perforating expansion vessels in less than the 2 year warranty

4. Splitting elbows on aqua blocks causing floods and electrical component damage, Viessman reluctantly admitted that they are now replacing all these at the services!!!

5. Faulty diverter valves, I had 2 go down within 24 hours of fitting them!!

6. Splitting ruber hoses from heat exchanger - floods!!

7. F5 faults on fans, sticking flaps

And most worrying of all!!!

8. Condensate falling onto heatproof pad in main he, causing it to crumble, fall onto burner and crack and split the burner within a year of installation.

I have had a 135% callout for repairs on those in guarantee along with 2 other companies in my area.

Viessmann parts support is virtually non existent, their customer service is appalling, I was told after a brand new boiler failed on the diverter valve that they had none left in the country!!!!

I have found an honest Viessman installer at last. lol. They are nothing special imo, overrated by the trade.

Sponsored Links
Viessmann 100 series early models were bad, we had an 80% failure rate.

We don't fit Viessmann 100 combis any more due to the reliability issues, although they have bought ou a very revised model last month. Too scared to try it on our customers, they deserve better. There are lots of good combis out there and the old Vitodens 100 is not one of them.

The 100 series compact (simple open vent boiler), apart from the now sorted F4 spark generator fault, has been very reliable.

Vitodens 200s and 300s have been reliable other than the varispeed pump (optional fitment) loses the KM bus signal and has to be replaced more often than one would expect.

Vitocrossal commercial is bomb proof, fantastic boiler for the money no object customer. Shame they didn't let the quality permeate some of their smaller stuff.

The attitude of Viessmann UK is poor, dropping their top grade 300 series in the UK was I think a mistake.

Viessmann 100 series early models were bad, we had an 80% failure rate.

We don't fit Viessmann 100 combis any more due to the reliability issues, although they have bought ou a very revised model last month. Too scared to try it on our customers, they deserve better. There are lots of .

I have a 100-w system boiler waiting for collection to be fitted. I am now having second thoughts, not least because I don't need the grief and the job is a 30 mile round trip should something go wrong. I am now waiting to see what they will charge me for restocking back to Viessmann.

One reason I considered this boiler was the seperate connections for cyl/heating make the pipework easier, but thats a small price to pay once you take reliability issues into account raised by GasFreaks and CMairiD.

we fitted 9 of the old 100's last year, we went back to 4 of them. we went back onto vaillants again but have recently used a few 200's which are a mile better than the old 100's.
also got invited on the factory trip which gave us a chance to see the product range in full. impressive place and some of their kit which you don't get much chance to see was top notch.
the old 100 range was developed for the uk market and was frankly rubbish, the new one I've heard is a lot better.
I think their technical in telford could do with improving but the 5 year warantee on parts and labour for registered installers should give piece of mind.

Sponsored Links
I had a 100 Compact fitted a couple of months ago, how can I tell if it is an early or a late model?

BTW I chose it because it is a lot simpler than their other boilers, so I though it would have less to go wrong.

Go for the Worcester, thats all I fit as you dont get any come back with them, they just dont go wrong.

If you want control over your hot water go for the 25Si as the 24ijunior is factory set to 55oC

Worcester customer support is excellent, but the guarantee is only 2 years, which I have never had to use.

Out of the boilers in the list i would go for the baxi duotec or potterton gold same boiler but get 3 year warranty with potterton,v reliable boilers . Also look at the vaillant ecotec if your want a top of the range boiler.

I stopped fitting them about 3 months ago, I and a couple of other installers had to threaten them with the HSE and a riddor report on one of the burners just to get them to provide the parts which were in guarantee!!

We were told 'off the record' not to bother fitting any of the 100 models (and that included the latest version too!!!, a member of staff admitted that they had 70 diverter valves go down in one day!!!! and another admitted that 500 faulty ones were out there, which was just to their knowledge!) and to stick to the 200's but I have had some of them go down too, albeit not in the same amounts, probably 30%, but for a supposed rolls royce of boilers this is still not good!!!.

Now I fit Broag - Remehas, all the component parts have already been fully field tested, all brass diverter valve, copper pipes from main HE, they are simple to fit (when you have the right spanner :eek:)), easy to service and of the 12 I have fitted I have had no call backs, after a discussion with the rep I was given a service kit and told that if any parts fail to simply replace them and take them to the local hargreaves branch.

I have had only 1 call back which was a customer issue and not the boiler but having spoken to customer services I found them extremely helpful, when I was told I'd get a call back from technical I assumed it would be the usual - cheques in the mail kinda thing but they were true to their word and very knowledgeable too!!!.

On Monday this week I was called to a Viessmann system boiler for the f5 fault, sticking jimmyslapper, I just ripped out the rubber to stop it sticking and voila it works again!!!

Steer clear of viessman, although it performs very well on the gas front 97% efficient if my memory serves me, the construction quality is just waiting to fail, all plastic parts which in my opinion is not likely to last for a long number of years!!!

We have lots of 100 Compacts out there, and this model (bar the spark ignition problem not sorted) has been very reliable.

We won't fit any more 100 series combis, not really interested what the new one is like frankly.

The 200 and 300 are a much better product. And the Vitocrossal is awesome.

we've been fitting the 200's for the last few months and been impresed so far. i wouldnt hesitate to recommend one to anyone. the 100's we fitted last year were a mistake by all accounts. i wont fit another 100.

I had a Viessman 100 fitted just over 2 years ago, pump went within 2 year warranty. Now the boiler won't fire up guess what fault code F4. Viessman customer service was appalling, wanted £190 just to look at it when they bloody know they have a reliability issue and are not fit for purpose. I would certainly not recommend this boiler or Viessman for their poor customer service:cry:

I had a Viessman 100 fitted just over 2 years ago, pump went within 2 year warranty. Now the boiler won't fire up guess what fault code F4. Viessman customer service was appalling, wanted £190 just to look at it when they b****y know they have a reliability issue and are not fit for purpose. I would certainly not recommend this boiler or Viessman for their poor customer service:cry:

I thought that if you had the boiler fitted by an approved installer then it would have had a three year warrantee then?

Pump failure is almost always as a result of a dirty system.

You should be able to get them to supply a spark generator FOC as its a serious design issue. You might have to threaten to take them to court though.

If I had installed it for you then I would have made sure you got it sorted out. Of course if you were swearing at them then dont expect any help!

Tony

Hi Agile,

As a matter of fact, I was very polite to customer services but was told I had a 2 year warranty, they denied it was not a design issue. However after further research I read it was apparently a batch of low quality spark coils. When I called Veissman parts dept they knew exactly what the problem is. They said and I quote," If the coil is anything other than black its the coil. apparently the black coil is shielded and does not interfere with the main PCB. The other problem is they don't guarantee replacing the coil will fix it as it can apparently lead to PCB damage requiring its replacement.

I thought the pump failure was likely to be caused by dirty system, inhibitor has definitely been added now.!

I have thought of using consumer rights legislation, however I want the heating fixed sooner than later. Its not the manufacturer but the fitting company who would be legally liable if not fit for purpose. Meanwhile I'm cold.

I dont go with the story of shielding!

Whilst there may be a shielding issue, there is definately something which "fails" in the EHT generator! They can work fine for a while and then suddenly it fails and stops working.

Whilst legally the supplier to you is the party you take action against, usually the manufacturer will defend that action or in reality come to a settlement.

Tony

Viessman customer service was appalling, wanted £190 just to look at it :

Hopefully I have not misunderstood what they said to me, but I understood for the £190 they would send an engineer and they would change the ignition module, the PCB and another part, any/all of which could be causing the F4 fault. They said they do this to prevent multiple visits and the PCB alone would be more than £190 if sourced through an independant engineer. A bit annoying when its a design fault, but my unit is nearly three years old and last week was the first service I had on it, in the hope a clean out might cure the F4 fault!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back