new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im in the process of getting quotes for a new combi boiler ive had two so far one from a local firm and the other british gas. the boiler is worcester greenstar 28i junior condensing combi. The local firm have given two quotes one to site it in the garage where the existing one is and the other to have it in the airing cupboard upstairs, which they recommend. the engineer from BG only quoted to have it in the garage saying its a bad idea to use the airing cupboard as the drainage would be poor. who is right? the property is 15 years old 4 bed with 12 rads 1 bathroom 1 ensuite. thanks

Sponsored Links
I would go with the Airing Cupboard, the hot water pipework will be there as will a water main, condesate drain will be slightly more complicated, BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE GrittishBas always look for the Easy option, which is not necessarilly the best for the End user (i.e. YOU!!!) :rolleyes:

The airing cupboard is a very popular place to fit a boiler, especially a combi. You may however need a condensate pump to pump the condensate up and over to a drain point.

Chances are the BG guy was just a sales rep who hasn't a clue about boilers or their installation.

Personally I would go with the local chap if you liked him, he was recommended and the price was right.

Just seen what boiler they are sugesting, you mightr want to consider a Heatstore combi or a larger output such as a Remeha Avanta 35c, which would be more likely to produce the hot water that you will require, another alternative would be Systemn boiler in Garage, Unvented cylinder in Airing cupboard, this may give better hot water performance, given that combi's in general can only supply one Tap at a time! ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your input so far. the local guy has quoted £2579 plus vat does that sound about right?

That sounds like a lot of money for a cheap boiler. I don't trust people that recommend a 24/28 i-series junior anymore than I trust those that tell you Ideal is a great piece of kit. The i-junior is the smallest, cheapest version of all WB models, and decidedly less good than the bigger brothers.

I happily stick a 37 CDI in for that sort of money, and that is at London prices, and it is a far superior boiler.
If you told him your other quuote was from ****ish gas, he probably laughed internally,and stuck 800 quid on top of what he had in mind.

The most important thing however, is to find a good installer. Ask local friends, family, colleages and nieghbours for someone they recommend.
Even the best boiler won't live to long if it is badly installed.

The amount of work depends on the boiler you have at the moment.

If its a comby already then to replace it should only be about £1500-£2000 in the same location.

A bit more perhaps to move it to the airing cupboard.

Tony

the boiler i have at the moment is a baxi solo its about 15 years old with the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and tank in the loft the quote of £2579 plus vat is to have the combi in the airing cupboard. to have it in the garage where the baxi is at the moment he quoted £2189 plus vat. the prices include powerflushing existing rads with ferroquest flush through and add inhibitor. a twin channnel digital time control , remote room thermostat fitted in the hall and 6 thermostatic valves on the rads upstairs.

or hampshire
as we charge £1950 for a straight boiler change or £2150 for back boiler to combi
and for that you would get a Vaillant Ecotec 831 including the 140 timeclock!

Dan98
How come you are going to a combi set up,when you have a tank already there.Is it to free up space?If not, i would stick with the open vented system(i assume),that you already have.Even to upgrade the cylinder and controls as well as a new heat only boiler,would be better than having a junior installed,IMHO.
Regards
Graham

Anything must be better than a Junior!

However, its more expensive to change to a combi and if the cylinder is useable then its better kept and a heat only boiler fitted.

In that case it must NOT be oversized. Most houses need 10-12 kW of heat and 2 kW for hot water making a boiler size of 12 kW or 15 kW.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back