New Boiler

Intergas 28/24
Atag A325ec (if appearances aren't important but hot water efficiency is.
Vaillant 8 series.

In that order.

All far superior to the Worcester and about the same price point.

Ideal are cheap for a reason. their reputation was destroyed by the last few generations of shoite they inflicted on the industry. The Logic is supposed to be be better, but I don't see why such abject failure in such a simple design concept (the combi boiler) should be rewarded.

Sponsored Links
appearances not important as it's going in the same place, which is the loft.

I see you've put Vaillant there - is it true their engineers went to Ideal, hence the recent improvements?

Some management IIRC. If by improvement you mean price rises on flagship product which looks remarkably similar to a Bunny boiler then yes.

Atag A325EC definitely the best for price for a combi going in the loft.

This is ridiculous. From another forum (not my post):

"A few plumbers I have spoken to rave about the value of the new Ideal logic + which is what I plan to fit
Ideal's reputation in the past is justified as they fitted the Isar range of boiler were very unreliable and fitted with sub-standard parts".

It is just mad that person a says they're great and person b says they're not! If an installer is recommending/using a specific manufacturer purely on incentives then shame on them.

I see you say the Atag is best for price. I don't want the best price, I want the best boiler.

If that means spending £1,500 vs £1,200, whoopie doo! However, if the £1,200 one is as good as or better than the £1,500 then great. In other words, I don't just want to pay for the name;

Sony TV's are much more expensive than Samsungs. That doesn't mean they're better.

Sponsored Links
I have a Sony LCD TV.

Two BBC friends admit that my LCD TV's picture is very good although they prefer plasma TVs. I would just say that its properly set up!

Like cars people will argue that what they have is the best.

Part of that is their perceived need to argue that they made the best choice.

I would argue that its those who repair boilers who are in the best position to come to conclusions about boiler designs.

Worcester installers only chose that make because of the multitude of incentives they receive. So much so that few would ever consider fitting other makes as they have to fit a certain number each year to retain their status.

Tony

PS: One rather important thing I haven't mentioned, is although it's in the loft so aesthetics is not important, I have a shallow pitch so height is restricted.

The current Glow-Worm (780mm high) has the flue straight out the back, not elbowed out the top. I don't think i'd get away with the Atag as it's 870mm high so there would be very minimal (if any) clearance at the bottom. It would also probably mean having the flue half through brick, half through fascia.

Why is your loft so restricted?

Can you post a photo here?

Tony

I've tried to be as balanced in my opinions as my experiences allow. I get no incentives from any of the 3 companies I mentioned.

Apart from a little while ago Intergas were giving rugby shirts away..

Why is your loft so restricted?

Can you post a photo here?

Tony

Will do when I get home tonight. At present, the Glow-Worm is 780mm high. From top of boiler to as high as one could go is about 100mm (can't put something square right into the corner of a triangle), and clearance below is about 350mm.

Most of the boilers only need a space of only 200mm below!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back