New Build BT Extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new build.Every room has at least one BT socket as part of a unit incorporating sky tv ports,free view etc.
The main socket is in the hall.
Today my boradband and line were activated so I set it all up in the living room but - nothing.
Line didnt work at all.
I set up in the hallway and it works fine
Being a nosey so n so I opened up the box and could see no wiring on the back of the removable face plate.I opened up the face plate next to the bt socket and there were a ton of wires,well 6, should these connect to the removable face socket.If so ,how do I do it

I have included pics to try to show all I can see.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I believe that the blue and white wires connected to your Openreach socket is the line coming in from the street. I would guess that the wires terminating in the chocolate block are from the various points in your house.

I would wire the white and blue wires from your chocolate block to the removable faceplate of the Openreach socket (there will be A and B connectors on it. The orange wire isn't used these days.

I'm not sure how good the chocolate blcok will be nor the effect of wiring the extensions in parallel.

I would also point out that you are not supposed to touch the wiring up to the Openreach socket as it is their property.

White and blue will be the pair incoming from the exchange. Wiring to extn sockets will be Blue to terminal 2, White to terminal 5 and Orange (yes it is used!) to terminal 3. You only connect the incoming pair to the extns but internally you need the 3rd wire (orange) to extend the ringing circuit. All extn sockets are wired in parallel.

BT will only connect the line to the main socket unless you specifically request they wire the extns - for which they will charge.

Sponsored Links
I only opened up the openreach bit being nosey!
I assumed when we moved in all the sockets would work..that'll teach me a lesson!!
So is it purely a case of taking a section of wire and connecting it to terminal two and then connecting this to the corresponding coloured wire ie blue on the choc box terminal and so on with the two other wires?

The removable (lower) part of the BT socket is where you would connect to, not the BT wired side. Yes, all you need to do is extend each wire from the choc block to the terminals on the BT socket. When you plug the lower part back into the socket the connection is made to the line side. This allows all the internal wiring to be disconnected to test when a fault occurs.

You will need to make sure all the internal sockets you require are wired to the same configuration - i.e. don't get the colours reversed - to make sure the ringing circuit is extended correctly.

Assuming you are planning to use individual microfilters for the phones don't bother connecting the orange wire, it will just unbalance the line reducing broadband speeds.

Sounds straight forward enough now I have had it explained.Connect blue to 2 orange to 5 on the removable face plate and so on.
Will have a crack at it tomorrow!

check what colours are connected at the extensions. The line must be wired as a twisted pair i.e. blue/white and white/blue.

Do not mix the blue pair and the orange pair.

It might not be the best option but you do not have any options....
Connect a new wire from each choc' bloc to terminals,2,3 and 5.
Ie A wire from the 'blues' to terminal 2
A wire from the 'oranges' to terminal 3
A wire from the 'white/blues' to terminal 5

You will never fit the 5 individual wires you have in the choc' bloc into an idc terminal.

The builder has wired the phone sockets in star ( all radiating out from a single point ) which means to get the best ADSL ( broad band ) you will need to separate ADSL from phones at the master socket with a fitlered front pae on the BT back part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back