new build issue

Sponsored Links
It sounds very serious. I would get on to solicitor, the NHBC and your insurers.

I think you should look at all your options before proceeding, be it damages or even a rejection of the property. You might end up with something that will be very hard to sell for instance, even if they do put the stuff right.

After all, the volume builders are making 25% on each house right now so they should be building them to the correct standard.

Quick question, although it is not yet official, the builder proposal is to install outside gully and i that way reconnect the drains. I am a bit dubious about it as firstly it will spoil the look of the property, secondly they will have to go through wall to get the pipe out and i will still be left with original pipe going all way down through the floor . ~i assume that they will close it somehow but still i dont know how i feel about it. To add insult to injury i know absolutely nothing about drains etc. Any thoughts???

Sponsored Links
Quick question, although it is not yet official, the builder proposal is to install outside gully and i that way reconnect the drains. I am a bit dubious about it as firstly it will spoil the look of the property, secondly they will have to go through wall to get the pipe out and i will still be left with original pipe going all way down through the floor . ~i assume that they will close it somehow but still i dont know how i feel about it. To add insult to injury i know absolutely nothing about drains etc. Any thoughts???

Is the kitchen sink just the other side of the wall then?

that's fine, but how do they propose to clean out the cess pit under your house?

No proposal with regards to that yet, but it was one of my questions. On different note, i expected some kind of manager to at least call me and say sorry but no such lack.
Back to gully I just wanted to know general opinion whether it is reasonable? downgrade? attempt from builder to fob me off? I would think that this alteration would change the specification of the building i have originally bought, will that affect the value of it?

What are your thought?

well, gulley is alright for the waste pipes, but the soil pipes will still have to have a rest bend. Maybe they plan to take the toilet branch through the wall into a new external soil vent stack with a rest bend on the outside of the house?

I'd rather have my gully outside.
IMG_4936.JPG

I think the issue is only with kitchen waste, toilets are ok

The question is whether there is an open pipe from the drains under the house which was supposed to connect to the kitchen. If there is, if at some point in thr future you get a minor blockage downstream then there is a danger that your toilet flow will end up underneath the house.

Apart from this, and the question of cleaning up, I think the idea of an external gully is a good one.

As others have asked - do you have home insurance, with legal advice cover of some sort?

Thats a good point with regards to blockages, i will keep it in mind. I do have home insurance with the legal cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back