new build issue

My other concern is at the moment that if they have to excavate and go through the foundation to get to the pipe, will that affect my foundation. Site manager claims that as it is block and beam foundation it wont be an issue but tbh i have absolutely no faith in them.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't your kitchen waste go through the wall and into a gully?

that's awful, they should have you moving out while they sort out what is presumably a cess pit under your house!

Sponsored Links
Bit of advise, site people coming tomorrow to try and sort it but my issue is as follows. According building regulations this should be air or water tested before completion certificate has been issued which obviously didnt happen. I feel like i should go via home office and make it official, ask them to provide me with proper plan, risk assessment etc before work commence instead of letting site people to botched it in first place to have a go.
What you think?

the drain testing isn't a prescribed procedure, and the builders may even have used a private building control firm. Either way they're not going to inspect every detail especaiily for experienced(?) builders. I think you more have to go down the route that they've sold you a house with fundamental defects, rather than they missed some paperwork.
Ideally you could get some professional on your side, not sure if your insurance company would get involved with their legal cover. Or you could just see what they say and get it all in writing.

According to section 2.59 and 2.60 Part H Building Regulation it is something that should be done.

Question remains, should I let site people to attempt to sort it out or should I escalate it?

that's the approved documents, the building regulations themselves are the law and don't have much in them.
Anyway you don't need to do the test now, focus on the repairs. I'd find out what they say and move from there.

What they said is that they will have to excavate, break through foundation and connect the drain. Question is whether it is wise to let them do it without raising it first to the management and demand putting other things in place.

Not that I can offer the same level of technical advise as others, but my 2 penny’s worth goes for documenting all this. Give your builders the issues in writing, request their solutions in writing, document what they do, photos etc etc. Make notes on when they came and what they did.

The reason for this is if it goes wrong and doesn’t fix the issues, you have evidence should you need to start legal proceedings. Fingers crossed it gets sorted, but if it does go to rat sh1t, you have it all documented.

I decided to take more formal route. Composed email to Customer service Manager and Customer service stating that before any work commencing i want to discuss the issue. I raised few concerns such as, whether breaking through my foundations wont affect structural integrity of the building, whether the exposed area needs to be treated as it is essentially an open cesspool and potentially health hazard to me and my family etc., pointed that those should be taken into consideration and i should get a plan detailing how they plan to deal with the issue. I think that is reasonable and will be insisting on it. Hopefully they will contact me tomorrow, if not i will be in touch with head office and maybe council down the line as it contravenes approved documents of building regs.
Tbh, i am trying to stay on top of this but i feel like fighting lost battle. For one issue rectified, 2 other, more serious pop out.

Little knowledge of them, other than they're doing the Housing Association repairs round here. Hope you get yours sorted.

Thanks pal, it appears that regardless of the name, they all suffer with similar issues. Greed is one of it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back