New Build/Site work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advice if you could be so kind. I am a Carpenter and have worked for the same employer for the past six years since I qualified.

All of the work we do is extensions, refurbs, loft conversions, kitchens and the occasional cut and pitch.

The thing that is bothering me at the moment is that a majority of the work I look at on the job sites is new build, building sites etc, albeit temporary. I have never worked on a new build site and don't have any experience of this environment. I would like to know more about new build sites and site work in general and how it all operates from a carpenters point of view. I know I haven't asked any questions but if someone could tell me how they operate I might feel a little less anxious about the whole thing.

Thank you for your time. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
From my experience on site work doing plumbing and also helping a mate out doing partitioning and suspended ceilings it was an absolute nightmare.

It maybe down to the site agents that we were working with or the general projects themselves but nothing appeared to be organised at all and with other trades walking off site and new guys starting all the time there was no continuity on the site. This mainly comes down to alot less qualified trades people on site and alot more agency staff being thrown in because they will work for pennies to keep costs down. If you can get day rate then great it may work out but the majority is price work and believe me they try and squeeze every penny out of it. Some days we ended up working for nothing!

I suppose the atmosphere between other trades is a plus point if there is a good group of lads but for me the negatives constantly outweighed the plus points.

Prices are constantly squeezed and goalposts moved on a daily basis without any remuneration for additional works mostly. Also when payments were due it was like trying to get blood out of a stone!

Then there's the architects...... :rolleyes: Most fail to be able to create drawings and plans that will actually work in a real life situation and God do they hate being told that they're wrong!

Don't get me wrong site work suits alot of people and this is just my opinion based on my experience of site work. (3 different sites, all the same s**t, never again!!).

I'm sure you'll find alot that will sing it's praises but from my experience the hassle just wasn't worth the effort.

Well said JonJB :!: Nothing has changed since the 70`s then :LOL: Apart from H+Safety :rolleyes: Chirpy - you`ve got nothing to fear , you`ve had 6 years since qualifying - site work is lego for a qualified chippy like you . On my travels from The Forest to the seaside ;) in Sussex , I see there is quite a lot of New Build in Hailsham and Hellingly - : Depends of course where you are in Kent - good Luck M8... Always remember - The Bricky and the Chippy are the kings of any build :idea:

As nige mentions it will be lego for a relatively skilled carpenter. It amazing what site joiners will use a chainsaw for.

Sponsored Links
Yeh it reads pretty much as I imagine it to be, I have seen a lot of new build properties in the past six years and thought the standard of workmanship in the larger estates is pretty sh*te, it seems there is no care involved, just bang it out and stick in the invoice.

I take a great deal of pride in my workmanship and I think to a degree it makes me work slightly slower, which I don't think is suited to site work. I could let my standards slip but that would go against the grain. I suppose at the end of the day its whatever pays the bills.

The remark about Architects is to true, they are useless all over the building industry, I tried to work out a cut and pitch roof which an architect had "designed" unfortunately I didn't have enough confidence in my experience to point out that the design was wrong and the job went to someone else, whom did have enough experience and confidence to point out the design was wrong. Translates the architect just drew the lines for the rafters and the ridges where he thought they looked good :evil: idiot.

But thank you for your advice, I might have to give it a go one day.

i dabbled in new build in the last recession.....................

NEVER AGAIN.

work your nuts off for pennys,had to run around for the forklift driver because he was on a back hander from the brickies,then when the sod did turn up he got the wrong gear or not enough then he buggered off to the brickies again.

on 1 job fitting front doors,i have never seen so much ironmongery on 1 door,for the princly sum of £25.

as said either try it but get day work rate,or STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

its 2 different worlds, if you are prepared to be unappreciated, put upon and run round all day then you can make a decent wage, its all about learning the fast ways of doing things and working with a plan in mind. you are always learning and the ones who moan that they can not make it pay just never learned how to

its 2 different worlds, if you are prepared to be unappreciated, put upon and run round all day then you can make a decent wage, its all about learning the fast ways of doing things and working with a plan in mind. you are always learning and the ones who moan that they can not make it pay just never learned how to

maybe,but 1 thing ive learned in my time,is not to be taken as a MUG.

with your house hold bills and running a van and maintaining a good selection of tools,a decent rate of pay is something that the average bloke is entiltled too.

when your running yourself ragged and going nowhere apart from getting into debt then i personally see no point in allowing a main contractor to earn thousands and your struggeling to earn £300 to 2nd fix a 3-4 bedroom house that was taking 3 days to complete on your todd.

now add another chap into the equation 2 man team,then you have to do 3 houses a week to give you around £450 a week each.and then your bloody knackerd.

day work rate everyones a happy bunny.

that way you wont have to cut corners and do a decent job that gets you a good reputation and site agents are glad to have you working on there jobs.

Sponsored Links
Back