on site rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
started a new job today for a large company, they are h+s mental, had to watch a soppy video and had a talk etc, including one of the things come up was that no one on site can work without a cscs card.

anyway one of the guys i got working for me didnt have a cscs card, so they said sorry he cannot work on site untill he gets one, ok i said sorry mate your out.

so then the site manager says no need to tell the guy to go home, i asked wtf could i us him for the tea run? he then explained that he could ring up the cscs people and register for it and could come to work onsite, how on earth this makes one person safer is beyond me but apparantly a cscs card for this company makes the world a happy place.

Sponsored Links
From their own site:

having a CSCS carded workforce improves their quality of service, provides a solid foundation for their training and development programme and ensures that health and safety awareness remains current.

Having the card would have made him safer :rolleyes:

From their own site:

having a CSCS carded workforce improves their quality of service, provides a solid foundation for their training and development programme and ensures that health and safety awareness remains current.

thats all well and good but how does one be safer just by phoning up for one? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I was working on the House of Parliament a few years ago when everyone needed skillcards. So the on-site assessor came down and seemed to get a 100% success rate from the skilled/unskilled migrant labour -which just goes to show how good an assessor he was!!

I already had mine and I have never been asked to see it-even when we went on another skillcard site only and proud as punch eager to show off our shiny platinum cards we said "do you want to see our skillcards?" :LOL: "err no" :rolleyes: came the curt reply

Never offered again and never been asked either...

Cheers

Richard

From their own site:

thats all well and good but how does one be safer just by phoning up for one? :LOL:

ah in the world of company health and safety rules it doesnt. It just protects people further up the chain when the **** hits the fan.

ia havnt been asked for the C.S.C.S card on the last 3 sites but in reference i do see that the work force should have some kind of training and keeps half these immagrants off my back

It came out back in the 90's and the CITB were soooooooo lucky they didnt get done for false advertising at the time by claiming 'get a card becasue very soon you wont be able to work without one'...

No one took any notice of it for years...no one asked for it so no one bothered getting it.

I applied for one then change my mind..they rang me (thats how depserate they became) and asked why..at the time you either had to have you level one NVQ or done a first aid course..I asked them why I needed a level one qualification when im already an assessor for 1,2,and 3

Their reply...'oh we havnt thought of that' :rolleyes:

The MCG Major Contractors Group of 21 companies stated that all of their sites would be card only by 2002..it didnt happen becasue of the skills shortage.

It only now that the card is starting to take off..and the main reason for that is it has been built into the NVQ/ICA framework qualification for trainees

One of the problems with the health and safety issue is their is another card..the health and safety passport run by the ECITB and both are in a power struggle over whos card is going to come out on top...thats why they wont recognise each others cards

Another point..the questions on the test are taken from a bank of some 2,000 odd...dont be surprised if you as a plumber, carpenter, painter etc gets quaetions about CDM regulations or what the pressure should be in a JCB tyre!...its rubbish

The questions should be based on our own individual trades...and a section of separate questions to do with fire precautions and general first aid...painters should have questions about COSHH issues...not how high a safety rail should be on a scaffold.

Heres a good bit..

The form is in two sections. In the first part the applicant(you) gives name, address, telephone number, date of birth, National Insurance number, occupation, and attach your photograph where applicable. The second part can be filled out by your present employer, your previous employer or the main contractor. In this part they confirm that you are competent and that you have had 1 years on site in the last three years. Your ticket to work A Construction Skills Certification

Oh their not going to lie are they... :rolleyes:

Last point...the company who run the training for ir arnt even British...Thompson pro metric are american...we cant even manage our own health and safety..

Makes you proud doesnt it!

got my card in mid 90s never been ask to show it ,but it makes all feel like they have achieved something :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back