New Build - Texecom Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I'm DIY'ing a telecom prem 24 into a new build (well sort of new build!). I'm just ordering all the stuff I need, and am challenged by the communications bit!

The router will be in the same part of the house as the panel, so I could run a cat 6 between them, but I'm guessing the comWIFI is the cheaper option?

Also - do I need the USB cable into the panel from the laptop to connect to the panel via Wintext? or will the ComWIFI allow wireless connection to it? (silly question, but for config settings, I'm just checking I can connect!)

Also, running 7 PIRs, 2 Shocks, 2 DC's, 3 RKP, 1x8XP and 1 speaker - do you think I'll need additional 12v's on the kit - non of the cables are over 20m.

welcome your comments, I'm not an expert in fitting alarms, I've done a few in the past, but never more than 8 zones and none with comms!

thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
Should be ok without a psu , I would run a cat 6 if possible , you won't need a USB com if your fitting a com wifi or IP com .

thats great and thanks for the response.

the ComIP is about 80 pound whereas the comwifi is about 45! so that confused me a bit.

I've just also looked at the app store, and the apps seem to work with panels 48 and up - so does the 24 panel not offer the apps and remote alerts etc?

All elites are ok , old non elites 48 upwards , the com- IP is an older module the com wifi is a newer cheaper unit , if your thinking of controlling your panel via app don't expect it to be 100% reliable ....take it from me it's a bit hit and miss !

Sponsored Links
I would use com ip over com wifi every time
The Texecom prem 24 will not support ip.All elite panels support ip.As sparkymarka says app has lots of issues. Texecom support need to improve there support for installers not good when it comes to problems with the app.Lots of ATS path faults caused by there server!!!!!!. They always say its the end users router thats the issue.

perfect, appreciate the advice. Wasn't banking on it being very reliable, but thought I may as well include and have a dabble! - I prefer it more for logging in and changing the config etc, and for the push notifications.

I'm good with setting the IP address of the device on the router to be static, and i've been told by texecom if I have the push alerts on, it auto re-freshes the external IP address every 15 mins or so?

I expect it to be a pain in the arse! - but going with the flush RKP's across the house and have to admit texecom have the best looking keypads!

Anyone got any thoughts on how to add a detector onto a velux integra window? - i'm thinking its weak point into the house from the roof, the room will be covered by two PIR's (big open space) but feel I should be adding a viper shock/DC onto the window? - think this is a good idea?

Just remember you can have 2 zones per keypad , it may save you the price of a 8Xp .... Eg slave front door contact to keypad , run 8 core to each keypad and you can slave 2 zones from panel ...

Personally I wouldn't bother , shock sensors may be affected by rain on it ! Contact may be ok

I've got the same panel in my house but I went for the com GSM rather than wifi. Got a SIM card in the alarm which is on a £5 monthly tarrif. I had some issues setting various bits up (and I would say I'm pretty clued up on alarms) but with the help of sparky and others on here I got it sorted. Love the fact that I can disarm via text if I need to - for instance this week needed the inlaws to go in house to wait for boiler man they always set alarms off so I disarmed and rearmed via my phone to save any hassle

Yes GSM module works well. Could use ip and GSM on same system.You could use pay as you go security sim is cheaper than monthly contract and will send text when credit is low.

I get staff discount on my mobile account so pay about £3 a month for an unlimited text sim only contract. Saves any hassle

As said above, as you have 3 keypads, you get 2 extra zones on each one, so could save on not having the expander.

Lets put a few things to bed.

The Premier 24 will support an ip module for use with wintex and the onlinekeypad program for windows, however you won't program the comip into the premier 24 panel and it can not use the mobile app or send notifications via ip using the comip.

The rest of the premier range 48 and above and all the Elite 12 upwards, also the 412,816 and 832 will use the app, depending on the variant and version may determine what functionality you get out of the app.

The usbcom and the premier flasher can be used to flash all the Premier range except the 24, 412,816 and 832. As you have a comip/wifi module you don't need the usbcom just for using wintex.

With 8 zones on your panel and a further 3 x zones from your keypads you don't need an expander.(14 zones available, unless the panel is wireless built in then you lose 4 zones on the panel, if one of the keypads is part of the live 24 panel then you lose 2 zones from the back of the keypad).

Shouldn't need a separate psu, the load shouldn't be heay even if in alarm.

I would go hardwired for the comip module rather than com wifi, Ethernet over mains is an option if cabling is a problem.

Texecom have said on there forum that they are testing for a fix which is due to be released around IfSec (back end of June) but there's no guarantees obviously.

Also here a cheaper comip module is to be released at some point approximately same price as the com wifi but with no dates you could be waiting some time.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back