New build, what type of gas boiler? Please help!!!

In this order

ATAG, Broag and Vaillant.

Vaillant used to be higher up the list, but as they are good boilers but with awful after sales service and ****s working for them and group service, I will now only specify them if a customer insists on one.

Strangely I find a lot of other installers now feel the same about them and do not fit them, yet miracuously Vaillant still insist they are meeting their sales targets when other boiler manufacturers are not.

Perhaps it is because Vaillant have lowered their targets so much that it is impossible not to meet or exceed them :rolleyes: :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe vailant got advice from the same consultants that advise the government.
It seems that all the government's targets are reached.
Apart from getting enough voters in the next election maybe.

I used to be a big fan of Worcester and have fitted a fair few Greenstars and in the main, they are pretty reliable.... But they can be a bit of a pain to work on... The Vaillants are easier to work on and are as reliable...

If it was me I would be looking at a 10Kw Heat pump and a small heat only boiler to top it up if necessary.

what he said.

tbh, its a shame more thought wasn't put into alternative sources earlier. A thermal store with ASHP and/or Solar inputs would have been ideal, then a small boiler to top up if and when.

And it would save a bomb on running costs compare to LPG.

A Thermal store could be used as a buffer tank, and fed with solar, the heat pump, and a small boiler for topping up and cleansing cycles.

Sponsored Links
If not, fit nothing but a worchester bosh mate. trust me

Why do you think that anyone would trust a boiler installer who cannot even spell the boiler's name correctly?

Try "Worcester Bosch" !

If you have an unvented cylinder then you dont need a 28 kW boiler!

All you need is a system boiler and probably only about 15 kW !

Its best if you use a boiler which is specially designed for UFH and some of the Viessmann models come to mind. Not all boiler models are available in LPG versions. Some like the Biasi M96 are not sold in LPG versions but can be converted with new jets and software settings.

As always you need to choose a Gas Safe registered installer who has the module for LPG. He will be able to advise on the power of boiler required.

Oil can be cheaper to fuel than LPG but it all depends on the world economy at any one time.

Tony

Thanks for your replies,
It is a 200ltr megaflo unvented cylinder running mains pressure.
Made a few phone calls yesterday to a few plumbers merchents and they have told me that I need a Freoli (excuse the spelling) optimax 31kw.
Im sure I could probably write what they know about the issue on the back of a postage stamp!
So basically between a 15kw-24kw should be more than sufficient then?
I did look into the greener methods but as we don't know how long we will be living here, probably not longer than 5 years we didn't want to spent the setup costs associated with gshp etc, but I understand your thinking.

Brian.

Only a qualified and experienced heating installer can do the calculation to see what heat output you need.

Anyone selling you a boiler will want to sell the largest to maximise their profit.

An average older three bedroom semi in the UK usually works out at about 10-12 kW for heating and then you add on 2 kW for water heating.

A modern house with cavity wall insulation can be about 30% lower in its heat requirements.

Many installers seriously oversize the boiler which reduces the efficiency.

Tony

just a idea but why not get a smaller combi to feed the sink taps etc for ya instant hw and have a zone valve fitted for the unvented cylinder so you could still utilise the good flow rates for ya showers, would be a bit of messing about to fit tho

a 12 yr old with google and a calculator can calculate heat loss.

Perhaps yours can, but fully grown plumbers merchants who are expected to know a little about their trade cannot!

Made a few phone calls yesterday to a few plumbers merchents and they have told me that I need a Freoli (excuse the spelling) optimax 31kw.

Im sure I could probably write what they know about the issue on the back of a postage stamp!

Brian.

a few plumbers merchents and they have told me that I need
A boiler that will give them a good profit!

Over the years I've had allsorts of merchants selling allsorts of boilers good and bad. Trust me they dont care what they sell you so long as they meet their sales figures and dont get too many comebacks before the boilers are commissioned when any problems come under the manufacturers guarantee.

Ferroli's have always been notorious for blowing pcbs which have always been very expensive compared to other manufacturers. I'm not saying dont buy one.
All makes of boiler have good and bad models
All I say is keep away from Ideal and anything French and worry more about getting and keeping a clean system well installed system than the make of boiler

I always wonder why it is that the so called experts work in the shop for half the money they would earn as a plumber if they know so much about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back