New building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can someone please give me some advice on SAP calculations.

I'm assuming that for decent software it will cost to much to warrant buying, so what is the best way to go.

Is there any cheap, yet decent software that can be used or is it best to just pay someone to do it.

The BCO has told me that he has a friend who does them and charges £50.

Is this about the going rate.

Are there any other companies that you would recommend.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That is pretty good if he does a good job. Make sure that price includes advising what (if any) extra measures are required (like an extra 20mm insulation in the roof) and that he'll run the calcs again.

BTW Mr BC is not supposed to recommend anyone (in theory).

What works are you proposing that warrant a SAP calculation? Reason I ask is if you're proposing a new house, some companies (e.g. Energist) can carry out all your reports (e.g. PEA's, energy statements, renewable report, SAP calculations, etc...) instead of approaching several different companies.

Sounds like the BCO is asking for trouble (conflicts of interest etc) but £50 is a very good price for an accredited SAP report.

Call me paranoid but I'd be suspicious of any BCO that recommended a 'mate' to do some work for you, which you'll just give back to him and he ticks off as ok.

Sponsored Links
Recently I downloaded three trial SAP programmes, and a few BRE and other guides, with the intention of doing a SAP calc.

Turns out I wasted about 15 hours of my life used a packet of Nurofen, and I was none the wiser

Pay someone to do them, £50 is a good price, £80-100 is normal

I've heard of several situations recently where SAP providers were unable to make designers specification work and the designs ended up going backwards and forwards trying to get a solution. I think this is to do with SAP 2009 which has caused me quite a bit of difficulty with my own designs. The problem is the SAP people just want to punch buttons and don't want to be messing about. That was fine under 2005 where it was fairly straightforward to get something to work but it really is a lot more difficult under 2009.

I always pay extra for my SAP calcs (or my clients do) but that's because my chap allows within his fee to propose to me how things need to be adjusted to achieve compliance. Not the other way round. I really can't be doing with going back and forth. You still end up with the same result.

Look on BRE web site Green book live for accredited SAP assessors and phone them There will def be someone helpful listed. That BCO sounds doggy

The BCO I am using is private, he is not from the council.

He is a friend of an Architect that I am using and he has a friend who does the SAP calcs.

I don't feel as if there is anything dodgy happening, but the one thing I was concerned about is that he goes overboard and it costs more.

Cheers.

Freekin hell, nothing like getting all the info is there. I'd be worried about using a private inspector tbh.

Hi freddymercurystwin.

Can you tell me why you wouldn't go this route.

This is something that I am just starting and I'd like to know as much as I can from the more experienced on this forum.

Cheers.

Well in my experience they are not as finicky/clued up as local authority boys and whilst that may seem like not such a bad thing, you don't want them to miss something. The only reason I would ever use an independent was if a client specifically wanted to or it was financially advantageous (ie more than saving just a couple of quid).

That said there are many local authority inspectors who are pretty vague and any inspectors should not be relied upon for checking quality control, that is outside of their remit.

Nothing wrong with BCO's 'recommending' people. Plenty of people out there don't have a clue and he/she's prob just pointing you in the direction of someone competent. Btw you need to be an 'accredited' energy assessor for your work to be accepted prima facie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back