New Burnham Independence Steam boiler not running properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In October, my 30+ year old steam gas boiler was replaced (had corrosion and leaking gas) with a Burnham Independence Steam boiler. I have a few concerns about how it's running.

1)This November was warmer yet it consumed the same amount of gas as the old boiler that was leaking gas and constantly running a pilot (new boiler only has a lit pilot when operating) did last year. Also, I have a programmable thermostat that set the same as last year.

2) Shortly after it turns on, there's loud banging for ~30 seconds and periodically while running. Is it possible to stop the banging? The banging seems to be coming from the return pipe. There was some banging with the old system but not as bad as it is now.

3) It takes longer to warm up my house. It takes 45 minutes for all the radiators to get warm (1500 sq foot house, radiator in each room, 8 total) and 2 hours to raise the temp 4 degrees in my house. Old system took about 30 - 45 minutes to warm the house the same amount.

For the pressuretrol the Diff and Main are set to .75 PSI (was 1 plumber suggested drop to .5 - didn't help so tried .75 - still no change) & when running the internal syphon reads 0 psi. I've also replaced all the steam vent valves on the radiators.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
This is a UK based forum. We don't do steam.

You will get more help if you ask your question on Heating Help, which is a USA based site. (You need "The Wall".)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back